What sizes will give the largest window?

• Thread starter tangents
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Window
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a rectangular window surmounted by an equilateral triangle has a perimeter of 12ft, and the goal is to find the dimensions of the rectangle that will give the largest area for the window. The conversation includes discussions about using a diagram, finding primary and secondary equations, using the derivative and sign chart, and the role of the triangle in the problem. The conversation also mentions constructing two functions and using the derivative to find the maximum, and there is a brief discussion about the question being poorly-worded.
tangents
Hey Guys, I managed to just scavenge this site from google and am in need for some assitance with this problem, which i think is very straightfoward but not sure how to approach it.

A rectangular window surmounted by an equilateral triangle has a perimeter of 12ft, find the dimensions of rectangle that will give largets area of window.

Now I know for these types of question, a diagram is useful. Also I need to find a primary and secondary equation, given that if there are more than one variable. I then find the dervative and solve for 0 and do sign chart. but I am not sure if the window is inscibed in the trianlge or vice versa. Do I use the equation of the perimter 2x+2y=12 and Area which iis A: XY and plug in and find derivative? I don't see what role the trianlge plays if any.

Physics news on Phys.org
it seems to me like the window is mounted inside the triangle. so then you want to find the rectangle of largest area that can be inscribed inside the triangle.

English isn't my native language, but from what I understand you have a rectangle and on top of that (on the top side), a triangle.

actually, i think TD is right. sorry about that.

In that case, construct two functions:
- the area-function (add the areas of the triangle & rectangle) which is the function you wish to maximize.
- the perimeter-function (add two sides of the triangle and the bottom + left & right side of the rectangle) which has a constant value.

Use the second function to eliminate one of the two variables in the first function so you can just take its derivative to find the maximum.

and you may want to take the second derivative to verify that it is, indeed, a maximum.

Ok Area of the equilateral triangle:
Rad(3)/4*x^2 and the rectangle is A=XY
Perimater is: 3x+2y=12
y=(12-3x)/2

So total area: Rad (3)/4*x^2+ (12x-3x^2)/2
Derivative: Rad(3)/2*x+6-3x. x=0 but that can't be right since that would give an area of zero ><

tangents said:
Derivative: Rad(3)/2*x+6-3x. x=0 but that can't be right since that would give an area of zero ><
If I understand, you found the derivative to be [itex]\sqrt 3 x/2 + 6 - 3x[/itex]. But x = 0 isn't a solution of the equation you get by setting this derivative 0.

Area of Rectangle: [itex] A=xy [/itex]
Area of Triangle: [itex] A= \frac {1}{2} bh= \frac {1}{2} (x)(\frac {\sqrt{3}x}{2}) [/itex]

since you got that, your answer should come out right. check your calculations?

ah yes i got it now, i just graphed it and got the zero of the derivative, thanks you for your help guys!

The question is perhaps a little confusing.

A rectangular window surmounted by an equilateral triangle has a perimeter of 12ft, find the dimensions of rectangle that will give largest area of window.
The way I read it:

The shape given by a rectangle (the window) with an equilateral triangle on it has a perimeter given by 3x+2y=12.

The window is rectangular, so the area of the window is x*y.

3x + 2y = 12

A = xy

Am I mistaken?

no, youre forgetting that the triangle is also part of the window

The window is rectangular.

yes, the bottom part is, but its also "surmounted by an equilateral triangle"

i'm assuming the triangle is part of the window. otherwise, it makes no sense to even bother giving the information.

andrewchang said:
yes, the bottom part is, but its also "surmounted by an equilateral triangle"
The window cannot be both rectangular and pentagonal.

andrewchang said:
i'm assuming the triangle is part of the window. otherwise, it makes no sense to even bother giving the information.
Refer to my first post in the thread; the perimeter of the pentagon relates x and y, in my opinion.

Ultimately, the question is poorly-worded; no interpretation can be correct.

Last edited:

1. What factors determine the size of a window?

The size of a window is determined by several factors, including the dimensions of the opening, the structural support of the building, and the desired amount of natural light and ventilation.

2. What are the standard sizes for windows?

Standard window sizes vary depending on the type of window and the manufacturer, but the most common sizes for residential windows are 24x36 inches, 36x48 inches, and 48x60 inches.

3. How do I determine the best size for a window?

The best size for a window depends on the specific needs and preferences of the building owner. Factors to consider include the purpose of the room, the location and orientation of the window, and the overall design aesthetic.

4. Can custom-sized windows be made?

Yes, many window manufacturers offer custom-sized windows to fit unique or non-standard openings. However, custom windows may be more expensive and have longer lead times than standard sizes.

5. Will a larger window always provide more natural light and ventilation?

Not necessarily. While a larger window may allow more light and air to enter a room, other factors such as obstructions, window orientation, and the type of glazing can also affect the amount of light and ventilation. It is important to consider all these factors when choosing the size of a window.