What sort of camera would you use?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter BL4CKB0X97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Camera Sort
In summary, the conversation discussed the difficulty of taking a picture of the Milky Way from above the galactic plane and the best camera to use for the task. It was suggested that a normal SLR camera with a wide angle lens could work, but the mission itself is beyond current capabilities. The discussion also touched on the distance and field of view needed for the picture, as well as the potential use of infrared sensitive cameras. It was also mentioned that taking a picture from above the Milky Way is not possible, but can be visualized through a thought experiment.
BL4CKB0X97
Hi. I am doing a project concerning getting a picture of the milky way, in a similar manner of the artists impressions artwork( I don't actually intend to try it obviously). As I don't have a clue what camera to use as an example becuase I need the FOV to work out how far it needs to travel perpendicular to the centre of the galaxy to get a complete picture.

What existing camera (if any) would work best on the probe? Was thinking of using the ones from New Horizons then I realized that's for planetary imaging so probably wouldn't work well.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
This is a tough question to answer because while the camera doesn't necessarily have to be very specialized (a normal SLR type with a wide angle lens, adapted for installation on the probe might work), the mission itself is way, way beyond our capabilities. How wide of a fov you need is going to depend on how far away from the galactic plane you get.

russ_watters said:
This is a tough question to answer because while the camera doesn't necessarily have to be very specialized (a normal SLR type with a wide angle lens, adapted for installation on the probe might work), the mission itself is way, way beyond our capabilities. How wide of a fov you need is going to depend on how far away from the galactic plane you get.
That's what my project was about. I am going to work out the distance required to get a picture, then go through all the space drives that have been theorised,provide detail(time to travel,cost,time required until technology exists and how it works), determine which one is the best option and work out how far away we are technologically and try and determine a time frame,estimate cost and maybe come up with a few ways to lower price or speed up travel.i also want to write about what humanity needs to achieve before its possible.It seems like it will be fun.
So I could put use any distance and work from that, say 15 kpc? Or would 30 be better?

BL4CKB0X97 said:
That's what my project was about. I am going to work out the distance required to get a picture...
Then you will just need to arbitrarily pick your field of view. You can literally go as wide as you want and flatten it with software, but you will have to decide for yourself how much perspective distortion and and shading is acceptable (because the galaxy is not perfectly flat/thin).

The IR sensitivity of CMOS chips is an issue for AP. That is why IR mods are widely advertised for SLR's.

BL4CKB0X97 said:
That's what my project was about. I am going to work out the distance required to get a picture, then go through all the space drives that have been theorised,provide detail(time to travel,cost,time required until technology exists and how it works), determine which one is the best option and work out how far away we are technologically and try and determine a time frame,estimate cost and maybe come up with a few ways to lower price or speed up travel.i also want to write about what humanity needs to achieve before its possible.It seems like it will be fun.
So I could put use any distance and work from that, say 15 kpc? Or would 30 be better?
I am still seriously struggling to understand what all that almost meaningless word jargon has to do with a camera for taking a photo of the milky way ??Dave

the milky way on my 14mm ultra wide angle lens on a full frame DSLR camera

upload_2017-1-21_0-12-29.png

Dave

Chronos said:
The IR sensitivity of CMOS chips is an issue for AP. That is why IR mods are widely advertised for SLR's.
Yeah, that's why I said "adapted". Astro cams may use the same chips as DSLRS, but they aren't the same physical camera.

davenn said:
the milky way on my 14mm ultra wide angle lens on a full frame DSLR camera

View attachment 111862

Dave
That photo was taken from Earth. The OP wants to take a photo from above the plane of the galaxy so he can see the whole thing.

russ_watters said:
That photo was taken from Earth. The OP wants to take a photo from above the plane of the galaxy so he can see the whole thing.

well that isn't going to happen for our galaxy huh :wink::wink:

refer to my earlier post #6

the best that that could be visualised would be say a pic of the Andromeda galaxy

davenn said:
well that isn't going to happen for our galaxy huh :wink::wink:
It can happen in a thought experiment.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a camera?

When choosing a camera, you should consider factors such as your budget, the type of photography you will be doing, the camera's resolution and sensor size, its features and functions, and its compatibility with lenses and other equipment.

2. Should I get a DSLR or a mirrorless camera?

This depends on your personal preferences and needs. DSLRs typically have better battery life and a wider selection of lenses, while mirrorless cameras are smaller and lighter with faster autofocus. Consider what type of photography you will be doing and try out both options before making a decision.

3. Do I need a full-frame camera?

It depends on the type of photography you will be doing. Full-frame cameras have larger sensors which can result in better image quality, especially in low light. They are also more expensive and heavier. Consider if the benefits are worth the cost for your specific needs.

4. What is the difference between optical and digital zoom?

Optical zoom uses the camera's lens to physically zoom in on the subject, resulting in better image quality. Digital zoom simply crops and enlarges a portion of the image, which can lead to a loss in quality. It is generally recommended to use optical zoom whenever possible.

5. What camera brand is the best?

There is no one "best" camera brand as it ultimately depends on your personal preferences and needs. Some popular and highly-rated brands include Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Fujifilm. It is important to research and compare different brands and models to find the best fit for you.