What sparked my interest in astrophysics and how has it shaped my career?

• Thread starter Hartmann352
  • Start date
In summary, my interest in astrophysics was sparked by my fascination with the vastness and complexity of the universe. I was drawn to the idea of studying the origins and workings of celestial bodies and the laws of physics that govern them. This interest has shaped my career as I pursued a degree in astrophysics and have since worked in various research and educational roles, exploring topics such as dark matter, black holes, and the search for extraterrestrial life. My passion for astrophysics has also led me to participate in outreach programs and share my knowledge with others, inspiring the next generation of scientists to explore the wonders of the universe. Overall, my interest in astrophysics continues to drive my career and fuel my curiosity about the mysteries
Hartmann352
How did you find PF?
I found you online.
The first books which opened my eyes to bigger things were 'The Universe and Dr. Einstein' by Lincoln Barnet (1948), and 'Stars - A Golden Nature Guide' by Herbert S. Zim and Robert H. Baker when I was four. Both books, given to me by my mother, started me on my personal quest to understand our marvelous Universe and all the things in it. I majored in STEM in high school, finding physics my favorite subject, in part, due to the incredible teacher I had.

I college, however, I found that I would do better studying what I loved, and I took up German history with a German language minor. Again, I had superb, yet demanding, professors, with advisors who were equally driven. But always, in the back of my mind, lay that special curiosity about what lay beyond our galaxy. Later, I would garner an MBA which would assist me in the construction industry. Leaving the office, often late, I'd look up and ponder the unknowable.

As the years passed I would often purchase that book from online sellers, since I abhor shopping, about the latest in cosmology. Once, on a red eye flight from LaGuardia to LAX, I read Iosif Shklovsky's 'The Birth, Life and Death of Stars'. More recently, I followed Saul Permutter's findings with great satisfaction. Having grown up with Clyde Tombaugh still in the news, where Pluto resided on the very edge of our own home system, The New Horizons voyage, photos and data captivated me - finding Ultima Thule (486958 Arrokoth, provisional designation 2014 MU 69) comprised the icing on Pluto's cake. Of course, having followed with great interest the original LGM-1 (Little Green Men) cosmic radio broadcasts which turned out to be pulsars when discovered in 1967 by Jocelyn Bell of Cambridge, I have been eagerly tracing the finding, locating the FRBs (fast radio bursts), deconstructing their signals and attempting to theorize their cause - magnetars or cosmic string cusps?

Hopefully my small but hopefully erudite input will serve to enlighten fellow members about my location, my dreams and my reality in today's physics if that is possible. If not, I'll just slink away.

Attachments

• erich hartmann 1.jpg
    erich hartmann 1.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 8
Likes Lnewqban and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

There are many PF members who do amateur physics as a passion, but something completely different as a profession. Welcome.

Welcome, hartmann352 :cool: