What sparked my interest in this forum?

• Thread starter antima
  • Start date
In summary, my interest in this forum was sparked by the diverse range of topics and discussions that are constantly taking place. I was intrigued by the knowledgeable and passionate community that actively engages in insightful conversations and shares valuable information. Additionally, the welcoming and inclusive atmosphere of the forum also caught my attention and made me eager to be a part of it. Overall, the dynamic and informative nature of this forum is what initially caught my interest and continues to keep me engaged.
antima
This is not a post. Just now I registered myself at this site with name ANTIMA
I am a retired physicist - got into this group by chasing a recipe that involved heating oil in a microwave oven !
I hope to begin by read the interesting threads in this forum before starting new ones or contributing my tuppence
Greetings to all

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

What was your physics specialty?

I hope that recipe you were chasing is not dangerous. Heating oil in a microwave can lead to some serious burns if you're not careful, I imagine.

jedishrfu said:
Welcome to PF!

What was your physics specialty?

I hope that recipe you were chasing is not dangerous. Heating oil in a microwave can lead to some serious burns if you're not careful, I imagine.

Hi
My Physics speciality was Atomic and Molecular Physics later came to referred to as Chemical Physics

Anyway, the recipe i was looking at referred to oil being heated (in a Microwave safe dish) - Still I wondered about the mechanism of oil absorbing this frequency, and surfing took me to, along with other references, to :

http://thebeautybrains.com/2014/09/is-it-okay-to-melt-coconut-oil-in-a-microwave-oven/(the site has a tagline : real scientists answer your beauty questions )

which in turn referred its more curious readers to this forum with
"if you really want to geek out on dielectrical constants and specific heat capacity check out this thread about microwave absorption by oil in the Physics Forum"

and here I am!

Likes berkeman
antima said:
...heating oil in a microwave oven !
Oh My, that would really stink up the place!

Curiosity can lead us all down some strange paths ... :wink:

Welcome! I will leave it at drinking coconut water.

Related to What sparked my interest in this forum?

What sparked my interest in this forum?

1. What motivated you to join this forum?

I have always been interested in connecting with other scientists and discussing various topics related to science. This forum seemed like the perfect platform for me to do so.

2. How did you find out about this forum?

I came across this forum while doing research on a specific topic related to my field of study. I saw that there were many discussions happening on this forum and decided to join.

3. What do you hope to gain from being a part of this forum?

I hope to gain knowledge and insights from other scientists, as well as engage in meaningful discussions and debates that will help me expand my understanding of various scientific topics.

4. What makes this forum stand out from others?

This forum has a diverse community of scientists from different fields of study, which allows for a wide range of perspectives and discussions. Additionally, the forum is well-moderated, ensuring that discussions are productive and respectful.

5. How do you plan on contributing to this forum?

I plan on sharing my own knowledge and experiences, as well as actively participating in discussions and offering my insights and opinions on various topics. I also hope to learn from others and contribute to the growth and development of the forum.