What the difference between prom and eprom?

• Thread starter some_one
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

what the difference between prom and eprom??

i know that prom is defined by address and data like 2^4 X 5

whats eprom then???

Answers and Replies

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
erasable prom

madmike159
Gold Member
eprom holds what ever is stored even when the power is turned off, unlike RAM which can be written but will lose data when it looses power.

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Then there's EEPROM (electrically erasable programable read only memory).

The bit patterns in a PROM are defined at the time of manufacture, in the mask.

The bit patterns cannot be changed or erased.

The bit patterns in an EPROM are defined by the user using an eprom programmer.

A UVEPROM (the one with the quartz lid on the top) is erased by exposure to short wavelength UV light.

The EEPROM is an electrically erasable EPROM, where you don't need the UV to erase data.

madmike159
Gold Member
I never knew UVEPROM was real. I saw it in a si-fi thing where it was used as a fail safe on a AI. Do you know how it works, does it just erase it and set everything to 0 or 1 or is it destroyed in the process?

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I never knew UVEPROM was real. I saw it in a si-fi thing where it was used as a fail safe on a AI. Do you know how it works, does it just erase it and set everything to 0 or 1 or is it destroyed in the process?
An EPROM cell is a MOS (metal-oxide-semiconductor) transistor that can be switched on by trapping an electric charge permanently on its gate electrode. This is done by a PAL programmer. The charge remains for many years and can only be removed by exposing the chip to strong ultraviolet light in a device called an EPROM eraser.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programmable_logic_device" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: