What the Hell. Differential Eq

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Differential
In summary, the differentiator was incorrect, and the final equation was not correct because the differentiator was incorrect.
Saladsamurai
[SOLVED] What the Hell. Differential Eq

Okay, so I used Method of undetermined coefficients for this one. I got a solution that when differentiated and plugged back in almost works, bit is off by a little.

Picture1-8.png

When I plug back into y'=4x+3y+(-5t+6)
I get y'=...+9 not 6. So I have a feeling it has to do with my D=11/7 term... but I have no idea what.

Anyone see what I am doing wrong? Is my matrix incorrect? Or my assumption of Xp? Or neither?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I forgot to change the matrix...this is what I used to get A,B,C,D

[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cccc}6 & 1& 0 & 0\\4 & 3 & 0 & 0\\ 1 & 0 & 6 & 1\\
0 & -1 & 4 & 3\end{array}\right]*\left[\begin{array}{c}A\\B\\C\\D\end{array}\right]=\left[\begin{array}{c}-3\\5\\0\\0\\
\end{array}\right][/tex]

well after solving:
t: 6A+B+3=0
4A+3B-5=0
you get 14A+14=0
B=3 after solving for the next equation of t^0 you get that:
C=0 and D=-1.
I think in this simple case it's better to just solve it without matrix.

Your matrix is not correct. For example, your third row says "A+ 6C+ D= 0" but the corresponding equation (A= 6At+ 6C+ Bt+ D+ 3t with t= 000) is "A= 6B+ D" which is "-A+ 6C+ D= 0".

have you tried taking the laplace x-form of your system? (sometimes that simplifies the problem)

loop quantum gravity said:
well after solving:
t: 6A+B+3=0
4A+3B-5=0
you get 14A+14=0
B=3 after solving for the next equation of t^0 you get that:
C=0 and D=-1.
I think in this simple case it's better to just solve it without matrix.

Right. I actually just use a CAS to solve the matrix for me...so that is easier. I just could not figure out where my matrix was wrong, but I have got the same numbers as you now.

Now I am having trouble getting his to plug back in again!

GOT IT! Thanks!

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a variable changes in relation to other variables. They involve derivatives, which represent the rate of change of a variable, and can be used to model various phenomena in science and engineering.

2. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they provide a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems in fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. They can also be used to solve practical problems and make accurate predictions in real-world scenarios.

3. What are some examples of differential equations?

Some examples of differential equations include Newton's law of motion, the heat equation, the wave equation, and the logistic equation. These equations are used to model various physical processes such as motion, heat transfer, and population growth.

4. How are differential equations solved?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, depending on the type and complexity of the equation. Some common methods include separation of variables, substitution, and using integral transforms. In some cases, numerical methods may also be used to approximate solutions.

5. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have countless applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering. They are used to model and understand phenomena such as population dynamics, chemical reactions, electrical circuits, and fluid mechanics. They also have practical applications in areas such as medicine, weather forecasting, and financial modeling.