Find a function that satisfies the following Differential Eq

In summary, you are trying to solve a differential equation for the function g(x) = 3x+f(x). You find that the equation is (x-6)e^{x-2}. You integrate to find g(x).
SqueeSpleen
I'm helping some guys with Calculus I class and found this exercise in the practice about integrals.
I think it's overkill but it may have some easy way to solve it.
I'm very rusty solving differential equations.

1. Homework Statement

Find f differentiable such that
$$
(3+f'(x))e^{2-x} = (x-6) (3x+f(x))^{2}
$$
with f(2)=0.

Homework Equations

I have solved similar exercises searching a function g(x) such that g(f(x))'=g'(f(x)).f'(x) and and putting the equation in a way that you have g'(f(x))=h(x). So you can integrate and solve it. The most classic example is (ln(f(x))'=f'(x)/f(x), but I have done with more complicated functions. In this case I had to go to wolframalpha because I couldn't figure out the solution, and even seeing the solution I'm not having an easy time finding it, I only was able to verify that's a solution. If it were a linear differential equation it would be easier, but the square spoils everything.

The Attempt at a Solution

I also thought about integrating by parts the left part of the equality, but I'm not sure if it will help to arrive an easier equation as I don't know what to do with the expressión on the right.

Any suggestions? I'm very rusty with differential equations but as this exercise was in a calculus 1 class I think it should be easier to solve.

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
SqueeSpleen said:
I'm helping some guys with Calculus I class and found this exercise in the practice about integrals.
I think it's overkill but it may have some easy way to solve it.
I'm very rusty solving differential equations.

1. Homework Statement

Find f differentiable such that
$$
(3+f'(x))e^{2-x} = (x-6) (3x+f(x))^{2}
$$
with f(2)=0.

Homework Equations

I have solved similar exercises searching a function g(x) such that g(f(x))'=g'(f(x)).f'(x) and and putting the equation in a way that you have g'(f(x))=h(x). So you can integrate and solve it. The most classic example is (ln(f(x))'=f'(x)/f(x), but I have done with more complicated functions. In this case I had to go to wolframalpha because I couldn't figure out the solution, and even seeing the solution I'm not having an easy time finding it, I only was able to verify that's a solution. If it were a linear differential equation it would be easier, but the square spoils everything.

The Attempt at a Solution

I also thought about integrating by parts the left part of the equality, but I'm not sure if it will help to arrive an easier equation as I don't know what to do with the expressión on the right.

Any suggestions? I'm very rusty with differential equations but as this exercise was in a calculus 1 class I think it should be easier to solve.

Thank you for your help!
Try to solve it for the function g(x) = 3x+f(x)

Likes SqueeSpleen
Let's see if I got it.
Let g(x)=f(x)+3x. Then g'(x)=f'(x)+3.
So the equation becomes
$$
g'(x).e^{2-x} = (x-6) g(x)^{2}
$$
We work the expression
$$
\dfrac{g'(x)}{ g(x)^{2} } = (x-6) e^{x-2}
$$
We re-write the expression on the left
$$
-( \dfrac{1}{g(x)} )' = \dfrac{g'(x)}{ g(x)^{2} } = (x-6) e^{x-2}
$$
So
$$
( \dfrac{1}{g(x)} )' = (6-x) e^{x-2}
$$
Now all we have to do is to integrate and find the g(x) (and so f(x))

SqueeSpleen said:
Let's see if I got it.
Let g(x)=f(x)+3x. Then g'(x)=f'(x)+3.
So the equation becomes
$$
g'(x).e^{2-x} = (x-6) g(x)^{2}
$$
We work the expression
$$
\dfrac{g'(x)}{ g(x)^{2} } = (x-6) e^{x-2}
$$
We re-write the expression on the left
$$
-( \dfrac{1}{g(x)} )' = \dfrac{g'(x)}{ g(x)^{2} } = (x-6) e^{x-2}
$$
So
$$
( \dfrac{1}{g(x)} )' = (6-x) e^{x-2}
$$
Now all we have to do is to integrate and find the g(x) (and so f(x))
It will be all right.

Thank you for your help. Also, your signature is great, having at hand those symbols is very convenient.

All ready answered while I was typing.

Last edited:
SqueeSpleen said:
Also, your signature is great, having at hand those symbols is very convenient.
You find those symbols and a couple of more by hitting the ∑ button above if you write a post. .

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates the rates of change of a variable to the values of that variable and other related variables. It is commonly used to describe physical phenomena and is an important tool in many scientific fields.

2. Why is it important to find a function that satisfies a given differential equation?

Finding a function that satisfies a given differential equation allows us to accurately model and predict the behavior of a system. This can be crucial in understanding and solving real-world problems, especially in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What are the different types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs), partial differential equations (PDEs), and stochastic differential equations (SDEs). ODEs involve only one independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables. SDEs involve random processes and are often used in financial and biological modeling.

4. How do you find a function that satisfies a differential equation?

To find a function that satisfies a differential equation, we can use various methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and substitution. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the dependent variable and then solving for it.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have numerous applications in the real world, including predicting population growth, modeling chemical reactions, analyzing electrical circuits, and understanding fluid dynamics. They are also used in fields such as economics, biology, and medicine to model complex systems and make predictions.