1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What to do about textbooks with solutions

1. May 12, 2010 #1
    edit: whoops, the title should read, "what to do about textbooks with no solutions"

So I'm trying to learn real analysis (using C.C. Pugh's book) and its going alright until I hit the exercises. There are no solutions! How am I supposed to know I proved something correctly? Is there a website with some proofs written down?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you're not sure, you can always post the question along with your solution to the homework forums here. Most likely you will get a response, if you take the time to express it clearly.
  4. May 12, 2010 #3
    The only problem with that option is time. For people going through many problems, this becomes inneficient. Perhaps you could try to find a study group? Working on the same problem separately and then comparing answers will greatly reduce the amount of mistakes you do. You could always go see one of your professors (If they're willing to spare the time) so that they can check over your work.

If not, then, as the poster above said, post your questions here.

5. May 12, 2010 #4
    Check out this http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/~rubin/math127/" [Broken]

it's a little disorganized but it does post some solutions to selected problems from the text.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook