What to say in the e-mail to the professors?

In summary, I am planning to apply for a PhD position in the coming December and I think now is the right time to start contacting research group leaders in my desired universities. What I want to know is what you typically say in you first e-mail apart from telling him that you are interested in his group and asking for a vacant position?
maNoFchangE
I am planning to apply for a PhD position in the coming December and I think now is the right time to start contacting research group leaders in my desired universities. What I want to know is what you typically say in you first e-mail apart from telling him that you are interested in his group and asking for a vacant position? I would imagine if my e-mail contains only around those matters, it will look like too bold and too brief.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up the papers, go through at least a couple. "I found ___ in your 20__ paper on ____ very interesting, especially since I've been working on ____ as an undergrad." Something like that. Show you put the work in.

Likes maNoFchangE
ModestyKing said:
Look up the papers, go through at least a couple. "I found ___ in your 20__ paper on ____ very interesting, especially since I've been working on ____ as an undergrad." Something like that. Show you put the work in.

That doesn't sound too brief as well? I just imagine that they know who is just looking for an acceptance as opposed to someone who is looking to really work with them.

You shouldn't write an entire essay. Brief is good as long as you say everything you want to say. He will likely propose to meet you anyway.

micromass said:
He will likely propose to meet you anyway.
Is this what typically happens in the US or in general in most western countries? I am living in Germany and I haven't heard anything about that before now. All of the groups which fall in my option are located in different cities, therefore meeting the professors (in case all or most of them offer me to) are rather costly.

maNoFchangE said:
Is this what typically happens in the US or in general in most western countries? I am living in Germany and I haven't heard anything about that before now. All of the groups which fall in my option are located in different cities, therefore meeting the professors (in case all or most of them offer me to) are rather costly.

That is standard what happens in my country (belgium, which is quite small). Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to start a PhD with somebody whom you have never talked to before. Maybe skyping is an option?

micromass said:
I don't think it's a good idea to start a PhD with somebody whom you have never talked to before.
That does really make sense. But in case skype is not preferred on his side, would it make me sound impolite if I ask for a possibility of travel accommodation to his place?

maNoFchangE said:
That does really make sense. But in case skype is not preferred on his side, would it make me sound impolite if I ask for a possibility of travel accommodation to his place?

I guess you should really try to find out what the standard is in Germany. I'm only talking in my limited experience from a small country. In your case, I would probably ask to skype first. If he refuses then perhaps try to say that you're interested in meeting him personally, but that it is pretty expensive. Maybe he will propose a good solution?
Then again, we have many German members here (with PhD), so they might be able to give some better advice.

maNoFchangE said:
A personal meeting with an applicant before offering a paid position for 3+ years is the norm. In fact, I have not heard of anyone ever having gotten any kind of well-paid office job without a previous meeting in any branch of employment (but then: I am a scientist, not a veteran human resources manager). To set the mind-set: Consider being a PhD student as a job as a junior scientist or a scientist trainee, not as an extension of school. A common form for getting to know each other is giving a talk in a seminar and then spending the remainder of the day with the group to get to know each other.

As for your original question: Say a few words about yourself. Really brief. Not "my hobbies are ... and I love movies directed by ..." or "I am fluent in French" but "I am currently working on my master's thesis on the topic of X at university Y, where I do Z". Try adding a few words why you are interested in working in the group or field, or at least a statement why you are writing to this exact person. It does not feel pleasant get receive mails from wannabe-applicants that sound like the exact mail was spammed to twenty other random people. Attach a CV. Do not write all the CV stuff in the text body - the attachment is only as extra information for people that actually do have an open position that for some reason is not announced on their web pages. Oh, and check if they have an open position announced on their web pages.

Likes maNoFchangE and micromass
maNoFchangE said:
Didn't see that question earlier: The question is not impolite. It is very valid. The answer is likely going to be that travel expenses for job interviews are not paid for by the university (it was a rule at the university I applied to; not sure if it was a university-internal, state or federal rule). Off the official track, one may play tricks like meeting for a "scientific discussion", instead (or alternatively: officially inviting you for a seminar talk). Not sure if I would suggest bending rules in case the host does not come up with such solutions by himself (you probably are not the first applicant ever to come to the institute). But if it is a real issue for you, then by all means do so.

And to make the obvious clear: The above assumes a scenario where you were invited to a meeting, i.e. one or more steps beyond asking for open positions. Inquiring about reimbursement of travel expenses before even having been invited is impolite.

Thanks for telling your experience Timo, that's quite useful for my future reference.
For the first step actually I only want to know which open positions they (again I haven't made a choice out of the several groups I'm interested in) are currently offering. I doubt the information in the website is up to date, I remember opening the same website about a year ago and the positions listed there do not seem to change as I view them again recently. That's why I think it's better to hear the real thing directly from the person in charge of the group. Only after sorting out the replies from the group heads can I pick one or a few of them to apply to. As for the first e-mail with the purpose described above, do I still better send my cv?

What should I include in my email to a professor?

When emailing a professor, it is important to include your name, your academic or professional background, and the reason for contacting them. You should also mention any relevant attachments, such as your resume or CV, and provide a clear subject line that summarizes the purpose of your email.

How should I address a professor in an email?

It is best to address a professor formally in an email, using their title (Dr., Professor, etc.) and their last name. If you are not sure of their preferred title, you can use "Dear Professor [Last Name]" or "Dear Dr. [Last Name]." Avoid using their first name unless they have explicitly stated that it is okay to do so.

What tone should I use in an email to a professor?

When emailing a professor, it is important to use a professional and respectful tone. Avoid using slang or informal language, and make sure to proofread your email for any spelling or grammar errors. Remember to always be polite and courteous, as you are seeking their help and guidance.

How long should my email to a professor be?

In general, it is best to keep your email concise and to the point. Professors are busy and receive many emails, so they may not have time to read long messages. Aim for 3-5 paragraphs, including a brief introduction, your request or question, and a polite closing. If you need to provide more detailed information, you can mention that in your email and offer to schedule a meeting or phone call.

What should I do if I don't receive a response from a professor?

If you do not receive a response from a professor within a reasonable amount of time (usually 1-2 weeks), it is okay to send a follow-up email. Be polite and respectful in your follow-up, and restate your original request or question. If you still do not receive a response, it is best to move on and find another source for your inquiry.