What to study to become a mechatronics engineer?

In summary, mechatronics is a multi-disciplinary engineering degree that combines courses in electronics, mechanical engineering, programming, and systems. It is possible to major in mechatronics at some schools, while others may offer it as a concentration within the mechanical engineering department. Alternatively, students can choose to major in either mechanical or electrical engineering and take relevant courses as electives. It is not recommended to major in computer science if one's goal is to become a mechatronics engineer.
_ZERO_
Next year I will finish my IGCSEs (High school), and I want to become a mechatronics engineer.
Is a mechatronic engineering a branch? Or will I start immediately in studying mechatronics at college?

sorry if i sound confusing

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Mechatronics is a multi-disciplinary engineering degree. You take courses in electronics, mecahincal engineering, programming and systems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechatronics

There's a lot of good references in the wikipedia article that should keep you busy.

Some info on Mechatronic degrees:

http://educatingengineers.com/degrees/mechatronic-engineering

I imagine if you wanted to get a start on learning more about it, try playing with an Arduino or Raspberry-PI. The arduino has many DIY hardware projects available online. Arduinos are more heavily hardware oriented with programming gluing together the hardware components of your project. The Raspberry-PI is more software oriented where python programs are used to control a limited number of onboard ports and the devices connected to them.

One other option is to checkout the IOIO card which can use an Android device as the computer to control some hardware components attached to the IOIO card.

Both adafruit.com and sparkfun.com sell these cards.

For a more lightweight but pricier approach, there's the little bits electronics at littlebits.cc Little bits are snap together components for mostly hardware projects. They do have a component for cloud based control of a project where you can use a device connected to the internet to control your project.

Likes _ZERO_
_ZERO_ said:
Next year I will finish my IGCSEs (High school), and I want to become a mechatronics engineer.
Is a mechatronic engineering a branch? Or will I start immediately in studying mechatronics at college?

sorry if i sound confusing
As far as the major you will pick, some schools have a mechatronics major.

If they don't, they might have a mechantronics concentration (usually in the Mech-e department).

If they don't have that, you can choose either mechanical or electrical engineering and then take relevant courses in the other major as electives. There will be programming that you will need, but usually you can take those through the EE department.

I wouldn't recommend doing comp sci as a major if you want to be a mechatronics engineer.

Likes _ZERO_
Thank you guys!

What is mechatronics engineering?

Mechatronics engineering is an interdisciplinary field that combines mechanical, electrical, and computer engineering to design and develop intelligent systems and machines. These systems are equipped with sensors, actuators, and control systems to perform a variety of tasks.

What subjects should I study to become a mechatronics engineer?

To become a mechatronics engineer, you should study a combination of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and computer science. Specific subjects to focus on may include control systems, robotics, programming, electronics, and mechanics.

Do I need to have a strong background in both mechanical and electrical engineering to become a mechatronics engineer?

While having a strong foundation in both mechanical and electrical engineering is beneficial, it is not necessary. Mechatronics engineering programs often include courses that cover both disciplines, so you can gain the necessary knowledge and skills.

What skills are important for mechatronics engineers?

Mechatronics engineers need a combination of technical skills in mechanical, electrical, and computer engineering. They also need problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills to design, develop, and troubleshoot complex systems.

What career opportunities are available for mechatronics engineers?

Mechatronics engineers can work in a variety of industries, such as manufacturing, automotive, aerospace, and robotics. They may also work as research and development engineers, automation engineers, or control systems engineers.