Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What to wear to grad?

1. Mar 30, 2005 #1
    Here's the story, I'm graduating in July (hopefully), and I want to do something different than everybody else.

Today my mom was asking me what I plan to wear to grad because my sister got her dress today (we're twins). I, being male, hadn't even thought about it untill now, so first I figured I'd wear a dress, but the school has that against the rules, so I figure a pink tuxido (with a wide brim pimp-hat with purple feathers) will have to do unless you all can think of something even better! How bout it?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know. You're talking high school, right? My school had pretty strict dress codes for graduation attire (though, that was way back in the dark ages). The boys had to wear pants and a shirt with a white collar, and girls had to wear white because our robes were white and any other color would have shown through.

4. Mar 30, 2005 #3
    It's not strict at all, and we don't wear the grad robe thingys, we go with dresses and tux's usually.
    Yes, highschool.

I was thinking of wearing a clown suit

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  5. Mar 30, 2005 #4

SOS2008

Gold Member

The dress thing again? And the old twin excuse? :rofl:

So, no grad hat? Where can you attach an obnoxious sign? No gown? Where can you hide the flask? I guess the pimp outfit sounds okay...or you and your sister could switch and do the pimp and ho gig...?

6. Mar 30, 2005 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're not allowed to wear your pretty little dress? Maybe you could get away with some 5-inch pink patent leather pumps with your tux?

7. Mar 30, 2005 #6
    Man, you really scare me sometimes.

Nonconformism is wonderful and all, but you worry me.

8. Mar 30, 2005 #7
    ........................... pumps?

Moonbear, MIH is scaring me, what are pumps?

9. Mar 30, 2005 #8
    Thats exactly the reaction I want to instill in my insubordinate; FEAR! FEAR! FEAR!

10. Mar 30, 2005 #9

I've got it!!

Wear a straightjacket!!!

11. Mar 30, 2005 #10
    If you're gonna wear a pimp-hat anyway, just go all out and dress like a total pimp
    http://www.jrsfilm.com/Vegas SUN LIGHTS DON JUAN - REVISED, FULL.jpg

Or you could come wearing nothing but a napsack, a purse, sandles and a sword, and say that you're religiously mandated to do so, quoting the book of Luke, chapter 22, verses 35-38, in which Jesus says that those who do not have swords should sell their clothes in order to buy a sword.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  12. Mar 30, 2005 #11

Danger

Gold Member

I have an 'Alien' suit (as in the movie), if you don't mind wearing 5 kg of sheet steel on your head, with a tongue driven by the 6-way power seat pack out of an Mustang. :biggrin:

13. Mar 30, 2005 #12

I have got to get me one of these!!!! [/shameless reference]

14. Mar 30, 2005 #13
    lmao, I can't believe I never thought of that. :rofl: Now where to get one!

I was going more for this kind of pimp look.

Hmmm, that'd be cool, but I'm not sure if it's smart to make a mockery out of the entire thing.

And when I say 'smart', what I mean is 'safe'.

15. Mar 30, 2005 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Torture devices worn on the feet. Pumps are those high-heeled shoes with a closed toe. Perfect for squishing toes AND getting heels stuck in mud all in one fell swoop.

Just keep in mind one thing...whatever you wear that day will be immortalized in photos forever. Will you still think it's funny at your 25 year reunion? Or when your kids get ahold of the old photo album?

16. Mar 30, 2005 #15

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

My high school physics teacher said "It's not a hat, it's a hood ornament." Seeing as the graduation gown looked very much like a hooded bridal train, I was forced to agree.

17. Mar 30, 2005 #16

Danger

Gold Member

I never cease to be amazed at what people can justify in the name of religion... :rolleyes:

18. Mar 30, 2005 #17
    Ok, that's it. Nothing could possibly be more misunderstood. I've made my decision, this is what I'm doing. It's final.

Edit: Wicked it's actually true too!
    http://www.cforc.com/kjv/Luke/

19. Mar 30, 2005 #18

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

No need to pooh-pooh belief in a higher order of reality. There is evidence to support that possibility, and some of it gives me pause.

20. Mar 30, 2005 #19

Danger

Gold Member

I mean this as a serious question, not confrontationally: which of us was that in reference to? We all made light of religion in some way here.

21. Mar 30, 2005 #20
    Probably me with my "Nothing could possibly be more misunderstood" comment. Or all of us.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?