Grad Outfit Ideas: Stand Out from the Crowd!

• Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grad
In summary, Moonbear is considering wearing a clown suit to his graduation, and is also considering wearing a straightjacket.
Smurf
Here's the story, I'm graduating in July (hopefully), and I want to do something different than everybody else.

Today my mom was asking me what I plan to wear to grad because my sister got her dress today (we're twins). I, being male, hadn't even thought about it until now, so first I figured I'd wear a dress, but the school has that against the rules, so I figure a pink tuxido (with a wide brim pimp-hat with purple feathers) will have to do unless you all can think of something even better! How bout it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know. You're talking high school, right? My school had pretty strict dress codes for graduation attire (though, that was way back in the dark ages). The boys had to wear pants and a shirt with a white collar, and girls had to wear white because our robes were white and any other color would have shown through.

It's not strict at all, and we don't wear the grad robe thingys, we go with dresses and tux's usually.
Yes, high school.

I was thinking of wearing a clown suit

Last edited:
Smurf said:
Here's the story, I'm graduating in July (hopefully), and I want to do something different than everybody else.

Today my mom was asking me what I plan to wear to grad because my sister got her dress today (we're twins). I, being male, hadn't even thought about it until now, so first I figured I'd wear a dress, but the school has that against the rules, so I figure a pink tuxido (with a wide brim pimp-hat with purple feathers) will have to do unless you all can think of something even better! How bout it?
The dress thing again? And the old twin excuse? :rofl:

So, no grad hat? Where can you attach an obnoxious sign? No gown? Where can you hide the flask? I guess the pimp outfit sounds okay...or you and your sister could switch and do the pimp and ho gig...?

You're not allowed to wear your pretty little dress? Maybe you could get away with some 5-inch pink patent leather pumps with your tux?

Man, you really scare me sometimes.

Nonconformism is wonderful and all, but you worry me.

...... pumps?

Moonbear, MIH is scaring me, what are pumps?

franznietzsche said:
Man, you really scare me sometimes.
Thats exactly the reaction I want to instill in my insubordinate; FEAR! FEAR! FEAR!

Smurf said:
Thats exactly the reaction I want to instill in my insubordinate; FEAR! FEAR! FEAR!

I've got it!

Wear a straightjacket!

If you're going to wear a pimp-hat anyway, just go all out and dress like a total pimp
http://www.jrsfilm.com/Vegas%20SUN%20LIGHTS%20DON%20JUAN%20-%20REVISED,%20FULL.jpg

Or you could come wearing nothing but a napsack, a purse, sandles and a sword, and say that you're religiously mandated to do so, quoting the book of Luke, chapter 22, verses 35-38, in which Jesus says that those who do not have swords should sell their clothes in order to buy a sword.

Last edited by a moderator:
Smurf said:
I have an 'Alien' suit (as in the movie), if you don't mind wearing 5 kg of sheet steel on your head, with a tongue driven by the 6-way power seat pack out of an Mustang. :biggrin:

Danger said:
I have an 'Alien' suit (as in the movie), if you don't mind wearing 5 kg of sheet steel on your head, with a tongue driven by the 6-way power seat pack out of an Mustang. :biggrin:

I have got to get me one of these! [/shameless reference]

franznietzsche said:
I've got it!

Wear a straightjacket!
lmao, I can't believe I never thought of that. :rofl: Now where to get one!

wasteofo2 said:
If you're going to wear a pimp-hat anyway, just go all out and dress like a total pimp
http://www.jrsfilm.com/Vegas%20SUN%20LIGHTS%20DON%20JUAN%20-%20REVISED,%20FULL.jpg
I was going more for http://www.janebug.com/pix/mardigras/2004/pimp.JPG kind of pimp look.

Danger said:
Hmmm, that'd be cool, but I'm not sure if it's smart to make a mockery out of the entire thing.

And when I say 'smart', what I mean is 'safe'.

Smurf said:
...... pumps?

Moonbear, MIH is scaring me, what are pumps?

:rofl: Torture devices worn on the feet. Pumps are those high-heeled shoes with a closed toe. Perfect for squishing toes AND getting heels stuck in mud all in one fell swoop.

Just keep in mind one thing...whatever you wear that day will be immortalized in photos forever. Will you still think it's funny at your 25 year reunion? Or when your kids get ahold of the old photo album?

My high school physics teacher said "It's not a hat, it's a hood ornament." Seeing as the graduation gown looked very much like a hooded bridal train, I was forced to agree.

wasteofo2 said:

Or you could come wearing nothing but a napsack, a purse, sandles and a sword, and say that you're religiously mandated to do so, quoting the book of Luke, chapter 22, verses 35-38, in which Jesus says that those who do not have swords should sell their clothes in order to buy a sword.
I never cease to be amazed at what people can justify in the name of religion... :rolleyes:

wasteofo2 said:
Ok, that's it. Nothing could possibly be more misunderstood. I've made my decision, this is what I'm doing. It's final.

Edit: Wicked it's actually true too!
22:35
And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.
22:36
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
22:37
For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.
22:38
And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.
http://www.cforc.com/kjv/Luke/

No need to pooh-pooh belief in a higher order of reality. There is evidence to support that possibility, and some of it gives me pause.

Chronos said:
No need to pooh-pooh belief in a higher order of reality.
I mean this as a serious question, not confrontationally: which of us was that in reference to? We all made light of religion in some way here.

Probably me with my "Nothing could possibly be more misunderstood" comment. Or all of us.

I'm voteing for the cod cloth and sword!

Why not go naked with a sword and say you had to sell your garments as well? :rofl:

Smurf, seriously, I have a great idea for you that's nonconforming, cool, and accessible. A friend of mine had a Renaissance Wedding. He wore a great looking black with gold trim top, loose pants long boots and a Robin Hood like hat. It looked great. Everyone thought he looked cool. He rented the suit.

Check out the Medievil Groom outfithttp://avalonusa.com/renaissance/renbridegroom.htm

hypatia said:
I'm voteing for the cod cloth and sword!
I'm starting to doubt my appraisal of you. I would have sworn that you'd vote against the codpiece. (Or is it just because he can't compete with the toys? :wink: )

Danger said:
(Or is it just because he can't compete with the toys? :wink: )
Yeah I don't think it'd be a good diea for me to compete against them either, wouldn't want to embarass them now would I?

Smurf said:
Yeah I don't think it'd be a good diea for me to compete against them either, wouldn't want to embarass them now would I?
I wouldn't get too confident if I were you. I've noticed that most of her catalogues are from Caterpillar and John Deere. :eek:

Danger said:
I'm starting to doubt my appraisal of you. I would have sworn that you'd vote against the codpiece. (Or is it just because he can't compete with the toys? :wink: )
HAHA the mention of a codpiece reminds me of Blackadder.
Now if you had that codpiece you'd definitely attract some attention :)

Soilwork said:
HAHA the mention of a codpiece reminds me of Blackadder.
Now if you had that codpiece you'd definitely attract some attention :)
Depends on who's playing MacBeth. :biggrin:

how about wearing a suit with a shirt and a tie, and acting like you have actually achieved certain maturity level

perhaps you'll get lucky and get some action from the ladies that way

a clown suit? you'll be remembered as a nerd clown, and trust me, in a few years into your college life you'll say to yourself.. wow was i stupid or what

Smurf said:
I was going more for http://www.janebug.com/pix/mardigras/2004/pimp.JPG kind of pimp look.

And sorry again to bump this, but to be considered a "pimp" in all its righteous glory :rofl:

you have to be at least 21 -or- be able to buy drinks on your own (19+ in BC, Canada)

You can always do as my buddy once did for Hallowe'en. Wear a large drycleaning bag full of balloons and pretend you're a bag of jelly beans... :approve:

It would also provide shock absorbtion if your prom includes slam-dancing.

cronxeh said:
how about wearing a suit with a shirt and a tie, and acting like you have actually achieved certain maturity level
What? and pretend I'm someone I'm not? I thought that was considered Immature too

oooh the paradoxes of life! :rofl: :rofl:
perhaps you'll get lucky and get some action from the ladies that way
I don't know if my girlfriend would approve if that happened.
a clown suit? you'll be remembered as a nerd clown,
Is that supposed to discourage me? Nerd clown is an upgrade from where my rep is at now.
and trust me, in a few years into your college life you'll say to yourself.. wow was i stupid or what
I just don't see it happening, have yet to regret any of the stupid stuff I've done before. and I've done a fair bit of it.

Danger said:
It would also provide shock absorbtion if your prom includes slam-dancing.
... Slam...? What? Nevermind, I'm just going to smile and nod :biggrin:

*grumble grumble*...Albertians!

I don't know if it's really appropriate to do this at your graduation ceremony, but hey it is your graduation ceremony.
Although if your parents are going then it might be a bit of a slap in the face for them.
If you are deadset wanting to dress uniquely then I wouldn't go as a pimp if I were you.
That is what everyone always wants to go.
At our end of year ball we had 20 pimps which was really incredibly lame.
If I had to choose one for you I'd definitely go for the blackadder outfit with the codpiece. :)

You could wear a George Bush mask and let people wonder how you managed to graduate.