What torque is needed for a stack?

• Thread starter technical
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, torque is a measure of the force applied to an object to cause it to rotate around an axis. In the context of a stack, torque is the force needed to tighten or fasten the individual components together, and it is affected by factors such as size, weight, materials, design, and intended use. There is no one-size-fits-all rule for determining torque for a stack, so it is important to carefully consider all factors and consult with an expert. To ensure the correct torque is applied, a torque wrench or other calibrated tool should be used and the manufacturer's specifications should be followed. Periodic checks should also be done to maintain stability and security of the stack.
technical
Hi can you please tell me hoe to determine the torque needed on a stack to prevent it from coming lose. the stack is 31m high and is divided into 3 sections.the bottom 2 pices are 10m high each and is 12mm thick with an outer diameter of 950mm. the upper section is 11m high with a thickness of 12mm. we will be using 24 M20 high tensile galvanized nuts and bolts to bolt the sections together. there are no supporting cables to hold up the stack it is free standing.

thanks for your help

Engineering news on Phys.org
This sounds super dangerous if you don't know what you're doing...

technical said:
Hi can you please tell me hoe to determine the torque needed on a stack to prevent it from coming lose. the stack is 31m high and is divided into 3 sections.the bottom 2 pices are 10m high each and is 12mm thick with an outer diameter of 950mm. the upper section is 11m high with a thickness of 12mm. we will be using 24 M20 high tensile galvanized nuts and bolts to bolt the sections together. there are no supporting cables to hold up the stack it is free standing.

thanks for your help

Travis_King said:
This sounds super dangerous if you don't know what you're doing...

Indeed it does. Thread closed.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force applied to an object to cause it to rotate around an axis. It is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

2. How is torque related to a stack?

In the context of a stack, torque is the force needed to tighten or fasten the individual components together. It is an important factor to consider when designing and assembling a stack to ensure its stability and structural integrity.

3. What factors affect the torque needed for a stack?

The torque needed for a stack can be affected by a number of factors, including the size and weight of the components, the materials used, the design of the stack, and the intended use and load-bearing capacity of the stack.

4. Is there a general rule for determining the torque needed for a stack?

There is no one-size-fits-all rule for determining the torque needed for a stack. It is important to carefully consider all of the factors mentioned above and consult with a structural engineer or other expert to determine the appropriate torque for your specific stack.

5. How can I ensure that I am applying the correct torque to my stack?

To ensure that you are applying the correct torque to your stack, it is important to use a torque wrench or other calibrated tool and follow the manufacturer's specifications for the components being used. It is also important to periodically check the torque of the stack to ensure that it remains stable and secure.