1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B What type of graph is this?

1. Sep 10, 2018 #1
    If you count the frequency of letters in a message, then have one axis with letters and another with numbers, is that a histogram or a bar graph or something different still?

Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 7.39.59 PM.png

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2018 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Sep 10, 2018 #3
    I see why it is not a bar chart, but do histograms have to have numbers along both axes? In the wiki article is states, A histogram is an accurate representation of the distribution of numerical data." Do the letters of the alphabet count as "numerical data?"

5. Sep 10, 2018 #4

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Both names work. Make clear what you plot and don't bother too much with names.

6. Sep 10, 2018 #5
    I don't mean to be a stickler but I am submitting something (a lesson plan) for a prize and I know it will be scrutinized.

7. Sep 10, 2018 #6

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Histogram.
    Best I know without checking is that the bars are each for separate categories.

8. Sep 11, 2018 #7
    Hello,

Does anyone else have any insight. I am submitting something to be published and don't want to use the wrong word. I have now played it safe and called it a "bar chart", but I feel there is a case for Histogram as the alphabet is ordered and can be put in 1-1 correspondence with the Integers, so they can act as a number axis with an interval of 1.

From wiki: "A histogram is an accurate representation of the distribution of numerical data."

9. Sep 11, 2018 #8

lewando

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I vote for histogram. Here is a definition that does not contain the phrase "numerical data".

If you are looking for "publishable quality" then there are more significant things to address with your graphs (assuming the images are your final effort). Labels for all axes, graph title, color scheme, elimination of chartjunk to start.

Here is a nice presentation that seems generally relevant.

10. Sep 11, 2018 #9

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

When we scroll almost to the end of the ppt link in your "Here" hyperlink, the author discusses "Graphs that are not graphs", shows a chart with category versus numerical values, and calls this type a "bar diagram". So that's how you might call yours in general if you want.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted