What type of graph is this?

• B
  • Thread starter srfriggen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph Type
In summary, the conversation discusses whether charting the frequency of letters in a message would be considered a histogram or a bar chart. It is determined that it would be a histogram because it charts the distribution of one variable. There is a debate over whether the alphabet can be considered "numerical data", but it is agreed that both names work and it is not necessary to get too caught up on the terminology. The conversation also mentions the importance of labels, titles, and other elements for creating publishable quality graphs.
srfriggen
If you count the frequency of letters in a message, then have one axis with letters and another with numbers, is that a histogram or a bar graph or something different still?

Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 7.39.59 PM.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-10_19-38-2.png
    upload_2018-9-10_19-38-2.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 449
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 7.39.59 PM.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 697
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 7.39.59 PM.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 440
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I see why it is not a bar chart, but do histograms have to have numbers along both axes? In the wiki article is states, A histogram is an accurate representation of the distribution of numerical data." Do the letters of the alphabet count as "numerical data?"

Both names work. Make clear what you plot and don't bother too much with names.

Likes jim mcnamara
I don't mean to be a stickler but I am submitting something (a lesson plan) for a prize and I know it will be scrutinized.

Histogram.
Best I know without checking is that the bars are each for separate categories.

Hello,

Does anyone else have any insight. I am submitting something to be published and don't want to use the wrong word. I have now played it safe and called it a "bar chart", but I feel there is a case for Histogram as the alphabet is ordered and can be put in 1-1 correspondence with the Integers, so they can act as a number axis with an interval of 1.

From wiki: "A histogram is an accurate representation of the distribution of numerical data."

I vote for histogram. Here is a definition that does not contain the phrase "numerical data".

If you are looking for "publishable quality" then there are more significant things to address with your graphs (assuming the images are your final effort). Labels for all axes, graph title, color scheme, elimination of chartjunk to start.

Here is a nice presentation that seems generally relevant.

Likes Tom.G and mfb
lewando said:
I vote for histogram. Here is a definition that does not contain the phrase "numerical data".

If you are looking for "publishable quality" then there are more significant things to address with your graphs (assuming the images are your final effort). Labels for all axes, graph title, color scheme, elimination of chartjunk to start.

Here is a nice presentation that seems generally relevant.
When we scroll almost to the end of the ppt link in your "Here" hyperlink, the author discusses "Graphs that are not graphs", shows a chart with category versus numerical values, and calls this type a "bar diagram". So that's how you might call yours in general if you want.

Likes jedishrfu

What type of graph is this?

The type of graph can be determined by looking at the data being represented and the way it is being visualized. Common types of graphs include bar graphs, line graphs, pie charts, scatter plots, and histograms.

What is the purpose of using a specific type of graph?

The purpose of using a specific type of graph is to effectively communicate the data being presented. Different types of graphs are suitable for different types of data and can highlight different patterns or trends.

How do I choose the right type of graph for my data?

To choose the right type of graph for your data, consider the type of data you have, the relationship between variables, and the story you want to tell with your data. Consulting with a statistician or data visualization expert can also be helpful.

Can a graph have more than one type?

Yes, a graph can have more than one type. For example, a bar graph can also include a line graph to show trends over time, or a pie chart can include labels and percentages to display more detailed information.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when creating a graph?

Some common mistakes to avoid when creating a graph include using a misleading scale, not labeling the axes and units clearly, and using 3D effects or excessive colors that can distract from the data being presented. It is important to keep the graph simple and easy to understand.