What type of graph is this?

• B
  • Thread starter srfriggen
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

If you count the frequency of letters in a message, then have one axis with letters and another with numbers, is that a histogram or a bar graph or something different still?

Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 7.39.59 PM.png

Attachments

Answers and Replies

I see why it is not a bar chart, but do histograms have to have numbers along both axes? In the wiki article is states, A histogram is an accurate representation of the distribution of numerical data." Do the letters of the alphabet count as "numerical data?"

Both names work. Make clear what you plot and don't bother too much with names.

I don't mean to be a stickler but I am submitting something (a lesson plan) for a prize and I know it will be scrutinized.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Histogram.
Best I know without checking is that the bars are each for separate categories.

Hello,

Does anyone else have any insight. I am submitting something to be published and don't want to use the wrong word. I have now played it safe and called it a "bar chart", but I feel there is a case for Histogram as the alphabet is ordered and can be put in 1-1 correspondence with the Integers, so they can act as a number axis with an interval of 1.

From wiki: "A histogram is an accurate representation of the distribution of numerical data."

lewando
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I vote for histogram. Here is a definition that does not contain the phrase "numerical data".

If you are looking for "publishable quality" then there are more significant things to address with your graphs (assuming the images are your final effort). Labels for all axes, graph title, color scheme, elimination of chartjunk to start.

Here is a nice presentation that seems generally relevant.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
I vote for histogram. Here is a definition that does not contain the phrase "numerical data".

If you are looking for "publishable quality" then there are more significant things to address with your graphs (assuming the images are your final effort). Labels for all axes, graph title, color scheme, elimination of chartjunk to start.

Here is a nice presentation that seems generally relevant.
When we scroll almost to the end of the ppt link in your "Here" hyperlink, the author discusses "Graphs that are not graphs", shows a chart with category versus numerical values, and calls this type a "bar diagram". So that's how you might call yours in general if you want.