Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What type of pressure is used in industry? Static or dynamic?

  1. Aug 26, 2014 #1
    For example, in chemical plants, if a pressure gauge is on a pipe and it reads 5000 kPa, is this a static or total (static + dynamic) pressure reading?

    I am thinking it must be the total pressure. Would that mean that a pressure reading in this setting is both a measure of static pressure and of flow rate?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2014 #2


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Generally, you read static pressure from a pressure gauge. To read total pressure, the port needs to be oriented in the direction of the flow.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook