What type of pressure and temperature sensors should I use?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
yousaf nasir
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
hello. My FYP is to observe the behavior of a valveless pulse jet by changing shape and dimensions of combustion chamber( i am keeping the volume of combustion chamber constant). i need to know what type of sensor should i use for temperature and pressure measurement. I mean temperature should be around 2000 Celsius-2500 Celsius and compression ratio is about 1.2.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Honestly I don't think there will be any sensors available which can put up with those temperatures directly... You might have to implement some less conventional solutions to get what you need.

Have you considered a non-contact infrared approach for temperature measurement?
 
Here is a probe that is good to 2300C: http://www.omega.com/pptst/XTA-W5R26.html

I hope you don't need too many of them.

BoB
 
Note: Omega states that probe is "Very Sensitive to Oxidation Above 570°F" which means it may need periodic replacement due to oxidation. I would think a non-contact probe would be a more reliable approach.
 
You are going to need a sensor that extends out into the combustion chamber, otherwise it will primarily just read the temperature of the walls, which will have a very large thermal inertial and not change nearly as fast as the gas temperature will. Similarly, you will need a very high frequency response because presumably your pulses are likely short. Combining that with the high temperatures will be... problematic. I know type G, C, and D thermocouples from Omega (which are not industry standard designations) can go up to something like 2300°C, which is likely close enough. They don't likely have high frequency response, though it might be worth a try. Otherwise you are probably stuck with some of the more standard thermocouple types which might have high-speed varieties (I know they exist for type E) and you just will perhaps have a lot of measurement error at your high temperatures.

As for pressure, The highest temperature I saw in a (very quick) Google search was ~400°C. Basically, what you will have to likely do is get a high-frequency pressure transducer and find a way to keep it cool. I suspect that won't be a problem due to the fact that your pulse times are likely so short that very little thermal energy is likely transferred to the transducer.