Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What units is E=MC measured in?

1. Feb 3, 2009 #1
    Hi all could anyone tell me what units are used in the equation E=MC.

Thx, Dave.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

J, kg, m/s

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  4. Feb 3, 2009 #3

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

but the equation is wrong.. E = mc^2 it should be ;-)

5. Feb 3, 2009 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

E is in units of energy, m in units of mass, and c in units of speed. mgb_phys already gave the standard SI units, but you can use any units that you prefer. For particle physics they often use eV (electron volts) for E and eV/c² for m and, uhh, c for c.

6. Feb 3, 2009 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As long as the energy is in the natural units for the speed and mass - otherwise you need another proportionality constant.

That does mean the the "firkin furlong2 fortnight-2" is a natural unit of energy.

7. Feb 3, 2009 #6
    what does the m for stand for ?

sry thats what i should have typed.

8. Feb 3, 2009 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry I meant to type kg for mass
    As DaleSpam said you can use any units you want for mass and speed but then the units of energy come out as the natural units for that measuerement system.
    With SI (metric) it's easier, you could use lbs for the mass, mph for the speed of light and BTU for the energy but you would need another constant in front of the m to get the value right - it just happens that for kg / m / s the constant is 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?