What variables are needed to find a moment?

In summary: F is a scalar, so it doesn't need a variable. c and b are the components of the vector F.Yes. F is a scalar, so it doesn't need a variable. c and b are the components of the vector F.
Alex Katko

Homework Statement

You wish to find the moment at the origin produced by a force, ̅F= {Fi}̂, that is applied at r= {̂ai+bj +ck ̂}. Which variables (F,a ,b,c , ) do we need to know to find a numerical answer? Explain using math and figures.

Homework Equations

Mo = r x F

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the above equation is used to find a moment. Therefore, to me it makes sense that all variables (a,b,c,F) are needed unless you were given some sort of extra information (coordinate direction angles). Needing all the variables seems to be too simple. Any advice or hints are appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Alex Katko said:

Homework Statement

You wish to find the moment at the origin produced by a force, ̅F= {Fi}̂, that is applied at r= {̂ai+bj +ck ̂}. Which variables (F,a ,b,c , ) do we need to know to find a numerical answer? Explain using math and figures.

Homework Equations

Mo = r x F

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the above equation is used to find a moment. Therefore, to me it makes sense that all variables (a,b,c,F) are needed unless you were given some sort of extra information (coordinate direction angles). Needing all the variables seems to be too simple. Any advice or hints are appreciated!
Perform the cross product algebra and see what happens.

haruspex said:
Perform the cross product algebra and see what happens.
Performing the cross product gives me: (bFz-cFy)i + (cFx - aFz)j + (aFy - bFx)k. All variables (the 3 components of F and a,b,c show up).

Alex Katko said:
Performing the cross product gives me: (bFz-cFy)i + (cFx - aFz)j + (aFy - bFx)k. All variables (the 3 components of F and a,b,c show up).
You are given ##\vec F=F\hat i##. So what are Fx, Fy and Fz?

haruspex said:
You are given ##\vec F=F\hat i##. So what are Fx, Fy and Fz?
Ohh i think i am understanding. Fx = Fi. Fy = 0 Fz = 0

Alex Katko said:
Ohh i think i am understanding. Fx = Fi. Fy = 0 Fz = 0
Almost. Fx=F, a scalar. There is no variable Fi.

haruspex said:
Almost. Fx=F, a scalar. There is no variable Fi.
If Fy and Fz are both zero, then the croos product becomes cFxi - bFxj. Therefore, the variables needed are F,c, and b

Alex Katko said:
If Fy and Fz are both zero, then the croos product becomes cFxi - bFxj. Therefore, the variables needed are F,c, and b
Yes.

What variables are needed to find a moment?

To find a moment, you need to know the distance between the point of rotation and the object, the mass of the object, the force acting on the object, the direction of the force, and the angle between the force and the lever arm.

What is a moment?

A moment is a measure of the turning effect of a force. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force.

How do you calculate a moment?

To calculate a moment, you multiply the force applied to an object by the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force. This can be represented by the equation M = F x d, where M is the moment, F is the force, and d is the distance.

What is the unit of measurement for moment?

The unit of measurement for moment is newton-meters (Nm) in the SI (International System of Units) system or pound-feet (lb-ft) in the imperial system.

What is the importance of moments in physics?

Moments are important in physics because they help us understand the rotational motion of objects and how forces act on them. They are also crucial in engineering and design, as they can determine the stability and balance of structures and machines.