What was the estimated speed of a vehicle that struck me?

In summary, the conversation discusses an automobile accident where the speaker was charged for not yielding. The accident occurred when the speaker was driving a 2000 Lexus RX300 and was struck by a 1995 Chevrolet Geo Prizm. The driver of the Prizm was allegedly involved in a speed racing incident and had a history of aggressive behavior on the road. The speaker theorizes that the driver's headlights were off, causing them not to see the oncoming vehicle. Both cars were inoperable and had to be towed. The conversation also mentions the availability of software and experts for accident reconstruction.
Roxanne Thomson
I was recently involved in an automobile accident and was charged for not Yielding. I was driving a 2000 Lexus RX300 and was struck by a 1995 Chevrolet Geo Prizm. I was leaving a parking lot onto a 4 lane road divided by a median. As I was approaching the median to head eastbound and was at an approximate 75 degree angle almost into the median, I saw the Chevy that came out of nowhere change lanes from the outside lane to the inside lane (closed to the median and my vehicle) traveling at a very rapid rate heading westbound. I learned from a third party that he was speed racing with a Mustang on this road and that he and a driver of a Mustang had an on-going problem with each other and the driver that struck me had been threatening the driver of the Mustang's life and had previously attempted to run him off the road into a retention pond. So, I have wondered/theorized if his headlights were off and that is why I did not see any oncoming traffic heading westbound that allowed me to perpendicular to the road in which the accident occurred, waiting on the driver of the Mustang to appear.

I knew the vehicle was going to hit me. The driver drove right into me without breaking (no skid marks on pavement). My vehicle was struck on the left corner panel and spun around at least twice before being stopped by a curb on the road when my right rear tire hit it. My vehicle at that point was at an approximate 45 degree angle heading in the opposite direction or westbound. The driver's vehicle ended up in the middle of the eastbound lanes (two lanes) also at an approximate 45 degree angle facing my vehicle. Both cars were inoperable and had to be towed. I have attached photos of both vehicles in hopes that it helps estimate the rate of speed that the vehicle that struck me was traveling.

Some other variables that may be important in solving the equation are: it was late in the evening, 9:42 PM, so it was dark outside. The roads were dry and it was a clear night. http://learned from a third party that he was speed racing with a Mustang on this road and that he and the driver of the Mustang had an on-going problem with each other and the driver that struck me had been threatening the driver of the Mustang's life and had previously attempted to run him off the road into a retention pond. [/PLAIN] C:\Users\Roxanne\Downloads\Automobile accident pics (1)

Attachments

• 20150620_113546.jpg
    20150620_113546.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 357
Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
There is simulated re-enactment and analysis software available for road accidents - some of it very sophisticated . Most police forces have access to a system . Probably a version available online somewhere .PS: Just had a look on Google using 'car crash analysis software' - loads of results came up .

Welcome to the PF, Roxanne.

We are not able to help you with your accident reconstruction (at least not in any way that will matter to the courts or insurance companies). The suggestion to check out the reconstruction software is a good one. Beyond that, you should contact an accident reconstruction expert in your area. Thread is closed.

What was the estimated speed of a vehicle that struck me?

1. How is the estimated speed of a vehicle that struck me calculated?

The estimated speed of a vehicle is calculated using the equation v = √(g * d), where v is the speed in meters per second, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and d is the skid distance in meters. This calculation assumes that the vehicle was braking and skidding at the time of impact.

2. Is the estimated speed always accurate?

The estimated speed is an approximation and may not be completely accurate. It depends on various factors such as road conditions, type of vehicle, and the variables used in the calculation.

3. Can the estimated speed be determined for any type of vehicle?

Yes, the estimated speed can be determined for any type of vehicle as long as there is a skid mark and the necessary measurements are available.

4. What other factors can affect the estimated speed?

Other factors that can affect the estimated speed include the weight and size of the vehicle, the type of tires, and the angle of impact.

5. Can the estimated speed of the vehicle be used as evidence in a legal case?

Yes, the estimated speed can be used as evidence in a legal case. However, it is always best to consult with a professional accident reconstructionist to obtain a more accurate estimation of the vehicle's speed.