What was the force exerted on the bullet bringing it to rest?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
esco4706
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


a 3 gram bullet traveling at 350m/s squared hits a tree and slows down uniformly to a stop while penetrating a distance of 12 cm into the tree's trunk. What was the force exerted on the bullet bringing it to rest?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

I know the speed is 350m/s , the weight is .003 kg, and the distance it traveled is .12 m. I can't figure out how to get the Newtons so i can get the joules. I am stuck.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums. Please note that for homework questions we need to see your working before we can help you. Do you have any thoughts? Hint: how does the work done by the force stopping the bullet relate to the total energy of the bullet before it hits the tree?