What ways are there for something to lose mass?

• B
  • Thread starter MatNX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, matter can be removed from an object by a number of means, including radioactive decay, hitting it hard with an axe, or heating it to the point of incandescence. If you define a system, then mass can move into the system boundary from the surroundings, or mass can leave the system and go to the surroundings.
MatNX
How can san object lose mass? You can use Antimatter or Fission or Fusion to turn it into energy. Also, one can just cut a piece of the object off. But are there any other ways to remove matter from an object? (Feasable and theoretical)

Physics news on Phys.org
Burning it, some of it will go away as gas products and smoke particles. I'm not sure what you are looking for here.

Likes russ_watters
scottdave said:
Burning it, some of it will go away as gas products and smoke particles. I'm not sure what you are looking for here.
Sure, that could work too, but I´'d add that to cutting things off. I just want to know in what ways matter could be "destroyed" or removed from an object.

The mass of money in my bank account keeps shrinking mysteriously. Just kidding. :cool:

• Haha
Likes davenn, russ_watters and MatNX
😄

Planets lose their atmosphere all the time. It just dribbles off in a trail behind us.
Smaller planets lose their atmo faster.
Once you get like Mars, any liquid water is immediately turned to vapor when exposed to the atmosphere, and subsequently leaked behind the planet.
Mars used to have a lot more mass.

Likes MatNX
In relativity, mass turns out to be the energy content of a body when it is at rest divided by ##c^2##. Any process by which it loses energy (light, heat radiation, heat conduction, etc) reduces its mass a tiny bit. Otherwise I think you are limited to the many and varied ways you can remove a chunk of matter.

Likes MatNX and Ralph Rotten
Evaporation, dissolving in liquid, emitting neutrons or alpha particles...

Likes davenn, MatNX and Ralph Rotten
MatNX said:
Sure, that could work too, but I´'d add that to cutting things off. I just want to know in what ways matter could be "destroyed" or removed from an object.
"Remove" and "destroy" are very different things.

Likes davenn and scottdave
MatNX said:
How can an object lose mass?
Change where you draw the lines around the object.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
--radioactive decay
--hitting it really hard with an axe
--heat it to the point of incandescence

diogenesNY

So if we are not talking about matter-antimatter annihilations, then everything else is just matter (mass) moving around (fission or chemical reaction or gasses escaping or "cutting some off"). If you define a system, then mass can move into the system boundary from the surroundings, or mass can leave the system and go to the surroundings.

• Informative
Likes scottdave and anorlunda

1. What is mass and why can it be lost?

Mass is a fundamental property of matter that measures the amount of material an object contains. It can be lost through various processes such as chemical reactions, radioactive decay, and nuclear reactions.

2. Can mass be lost through physical changes?

No, mass cannot be lost through physical changes such as changes in state (solid, liquid, gas) or changes in shape. These changes only affect the appearance or arrangement of particles, but the amount of matter remains the same.

3. How does energy relate to mass loss?

According to Einstein's famous equation E=mc², mass and energy are interchangeable. This means that when mass is lost, it is converted into energy. This is observed in nuclear reactions where a small amount of mass is converted into a large amount of energy.

4. Is it possible for an object to completely lose its mass?

No, it is not possible for an object to completely lose its mass. Mass is a conserved quantity, meaning it cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be converted into different forms (such as energy) or redistributed among particles.

5. How does the loss of mass affect the overall properties of an object?

The loss of mass can greatly affect the overall properties of an object. For example, in chemical reactions, the loss of mass can result in changes in color, texture, and physical state. In nuclear reactions, the loss of mass can result in the release of large amounts of energy and the formation of new elements.