What will sugar dissolve in besides water?

• Thread starter TalonD
  • Start date
Well, the tittle says it all. Other than water, what will dissolve ordinary white crystalized table sugar. Specifically something that would evaporate and leave behind the sugar as a residue. Also something that is reasonably safe to handle.

Answers and Replies

there was a reply here. where did it go?

alxm
Science Advisor
Sugar is somewhat dissolvable in methanol, which is reasonably safe to handle as long as you don't drink it.

turbo
Gold Member
Sugar is somewhat dissolvable in methanol, which is reasonably safe to handle as long as you don't drink it.
Correction - you don't want it in contact with your skin, either, since it can enter your body through that route.

alxm
Science Advisor
Correction - you don't want it in contact with your skin, either, since it can enter your body through that route.
Well, that's true, but it's not at a rate that's particularly hazardous. But I did find http://occmed.oxfordjournals.org/content/42/1/47.short" [Broken] of a guy who'd actually gotten methanol poisoning (from which he recovered) by that route. Pretty extreme situation though; he'd been wearing methanol-drenched clothes for hours.

But it's safe to say >99% of all methanol poisoning cases are due to ingestion, and there's no cause for worry if you just spilling some on yourself. It takes pretty significant and prolonged exposure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Methanol? I tried dissolving it in denatured alcohol but that is ethanol isn't it? It wouldn't dissolve in that at least not that I could see. How much is somewhat? I'm not sure where I can get methanol.

turbo
Gold Member
Yes, denatured alcohol is ethanol with toxins added. The place where our lab got theirs denatured the ethanol with acetone, aviation gasoline and MEK, IIR.