Well, the tittle says it all. Other than water, what will dissolve ordinary white crystalized table sugar. Specifically something that would evaporate and leave behind the sugar as a residue. Also something that is reasonably safe to handle.
Well, that's true, but it's not at a rate that's particularly hazardous. But I did find http://occmed.oxfordjournals.org/content/42/1/47.short" [Broken] of a guy who'd actually gotten methanol poisoning (from which he recovered) by that route. Pretty extreme situation though; he'd been wearing methanol-drenched clothes for hours.Correction - you don't want it in contact with your skin, either, since it can enter your body through that route.