1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What would be the contrapositive of this statement?

1. Sep 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The original statement is Prove that if xy and x+y are even then both x and y are even.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think it goes like "If x or y is odd then xy and x+y are odd"? I'm not too sure though because the first "and" in the hypothesis is confusing. I'm not sure if its supposed to go like"If x or y is odd then xy or x+y is odd?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You want to negate the statement "xy and x+y are even". If this statement is not true, it means that either xy is not even or x+y is not even, or both. And "not even" is the same as "odd". So indeed "If x or y is odd then xy or x+y is odd" is correct.

4. Sep 20, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The statement is "If ((x is even) and (y is even)) then ((xy is even) and (x+y is even))".

As you suggest, the contrapositive of "if A then B" is "if not B then not A". So the contrapositive of this statement is
    "if NOT ((xy is even) and (x+y is even)) then NOT ((x is even) and (y is even))".

The thing you are missing is that "NOT A and B" is "(Not A) or (not B)".
    So the contra positive is
    "if xy is odd or x+y is odd, then either x is odd or y is odd".

5. Sep 20, 2012 #4
    deleted

6. Sep 21, 2012 #5
    I would think the sentence would have to be " If x is odd or y is odd then xy is odd or x+y is odd." I think you have it flipped around.

7. Sep 21, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To whom are you responding?

(We have a "QUOTE" feature to take the guess-work out of this.)

By the Way: " If x is odd or y is odd then xy is odd or x+y is odd." is a valid contrapositive to the original statement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook