1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is first Brillouin zone the same as Wigner-Seitz cell?

1. Apr 20, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Not a homework question, but I am attempting to understand what exactly the first Brillouin zone is.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    From my textbook, what I'm gathering is that one constructs the first Brillouin zone by constructing a "Wigner-Seitz" type cell in reciprocal space. My question is, is this how one constructs the first Brillouin zone, and if so, why/how does this work?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2017 #2
    Essentially, my question is, suppose we have a hexagonal lattice, such that the reciprocal lattice vectors are given by, $$A=2\pi\hat{x}+\frac{2\pi}{\sqrt{3}}\hat{y},$$ and $$B=\frac{4\pi}{\sqrt{3}}\hat{y}.$$ The magnitudes of these are, $$|A|=|B|=\frac{4\pi}{\sqrt{3}}.$$ Is the Brillouin zone just the bound between, $$[-\frac{2\pi}{\sqrt{3}},\frac{2\pi}{\sqrt{3}}].$$ Because, as I understand it, because the magnitudes of reciprocal square lattice vectors are, $$\frac{2\pi}{a},$$ the Brillouin zone is essentially bisection of this (i.e. bisection of line to nearest neighbors as it is with Wigner-Seitz construction).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted