What would happen if a solar storm struck us on July 16th 2014

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential impact on individual lives if Earth had been hit by a catastrophic solar storm in July 2012. One person shares their personal experience of being in China at the time, while another wonders about the potential difficulties they would face and the response of the Chinese government. The conversation also touches on the potential differences in circumstances for those living in different locations during the storm.
freshman2013
If you guys still haven't heard by now, Earth narrowly missed a solar storm by a week on July 2012. Let's say the storm happened earlier on July 16th, in which we'd be directly hit. How different would our lives be? Where would we be today?

http://www.nhregister.com/science/20140727/nasa-earth-narrowly-missed-a-catastrophic-solar-storm

Personally, I was in Nanjing, China, a city of 3.5 million, on July 16, and was within a week of returning back to the US. I was with my dad and my grandparents. My family in the US, in contrast, lives in a suburban town. My mom and sister were there at the time. I assume if the storm happened, I'd be stranded in China for a long time. How long would you guys say I'd be stuck there, and what would I witness and how much difficulty would I face? I know food and water would probably be more difficult, might I actually starve or die of thirst, or might the Chinese government be able to pull off some relief effort for the cities? And would I be witnessing anarchy and possibly martial law? I assume that my family back home would fare better than I would, but if so, by how much? I'm really curious as to how different my life would've been if that catastrophe happened.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a solar storm?

A solar storm, also known as a geomagnetic storm, is a disturbance in the Earth's magnetic field caused by a sudden release of energy from the Sun. This release of energy is caused by solar flares or coronal mass ejections (CMEs) from the Sun's surface.

2. How often do solar storms occur?

Solar storms occur quite frequently, with an average of one major storm every 11 years. However, the intensity and frequency of storms can vary depending on the solar cycle, with more storms occurring during periods of high solar activity.

3. What are the potential effects of a solar storm?

A solar storm can cause disruptions to satellite communications, power grids, and radio communications. It can also lead to beautiful auroras in the Earth's atmosphere. In extreme cases, it can even pose a danger to astronauts and airline crews due to increased levels of radiation.

4. Why is July 16th, 2014 significant in regards to solar storms?

July 16th, 2014 was the date of a major solar flare and CME that erupted from the Sun's surface. This event was classified as an X-class flare, the most powerful classification, and was directed towards Earth. However, the effects of this storm were not as severe as initially predicted.

5. Are we prepared for a solar storm to strike on July 16th, 2014 or any other date?

Scientists and organizations, such as NASA and NOAA, continuously monitor the Sun's activity and have systems in place to predict and prepare for potential solar storms. While it is not possible to prevent a solar storm from occurring, steps can be taken to mitigate its effects and minimize disruptions to technology and infrastructure. However, more research and preparation is needed to fully understand and prepare for the potential impacts of solar storms on our planet.