What would the "correct" way of doing this integral be?

v(x(t)), where v represents velocity and is a function of position which is a function of time.

I have the equation: v dv/dx = 20x + 5 and want to solve for velocity. The way our professor solved it was by multiplying both sides by dx and integrating => ∫v dv = ∫20x+5 dx. I know doing this is non-rigorous since dv/dx can't be treated as a fraction. So how would I "correctly" do this?

Generally ∫ ƒ(y) dy/dx dx = ∫ f(u) du by substitution or the "reverse" chain rule since dy/dx is the derivative of the composite function y inside f In my case however, ∫ v dv/dx , dv/dx is not the derivative of the composite inside v. How would I solve for v without doing something like multiplying both sides by dx?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
You are just intrgrating over t. Note that v dt = (dx/dt) dt = dx so you can just apply substitution of variables to x instead of t.

You are just intrgrating over t. Note that v dt = (dx/dt) dt = dx so you can just apply substitution of variables to x instead of t.
I made a few mistakes initially sorry. Corrected them. Please look at the post again.

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
This does not really change the principle, it is still just integrating both sides with respect to a variable, in this case x, and changing the integral parametrisation.

This does not really change the principle, it is still just integrating both sides with respect to a variable, in this case x, and changing the integral parametrisation.

v dv/dx = 20x + 5 If I want to integrate both sides with respect to x, how do I do it?
The RHS would be pretty straightforward.

But how do I integrate this:
∫ v(x) dv/dx dx without "cancelling" the dx's

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
You are not "cancelling" the dx. You are using the normal form for a change of variables.

You are not "cancelling" the dx. You are using the normal form for a change of variables.

But for change of variables, the "inner" or composite function's derivative has to be present outside like: ∫f(x(t)) dx/dt dx = ∫f(y) dy.
In this case ∫ v(x) dv/dx dx, dv/dx is not the derivative of the composite function but it is the derivative of v(x)

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
You are changing variables to v ... Also, your expression for change of variables is wrong. Fix it with replacing dx by dt and it is exactly what you have.

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
Of course, you could also just note that v dv/dx = d(v^2)/dx / 2 and integrate a total derivative.

You are changing variables to v ... Also, your expression for change of variables is wrong. Fix it with replacing dx by dt and it is exactly what you have.

In the change of variable, ∫ g(f(x)) df/dx dx = ∫ g(u) du. But my case is more analogous to ∫ g(f(x)) dg/df df since I have ∫ v(x(t)) dv/dx dx

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
In the change of variable, ∫ g(f(x)) df/dx dx = ∫ g(u) du. But my case is more analogous to ∫ g(f(x)) dg/df df since I have ∫ v(x(t)) dv/dx dx
No it is not. You just have g(f) = f.
The fact that v and x generally depend on t here is irrelevant.

No it is not. You just have g(f) = f.
The fact that v and x generally depend on t here is irrelevant.

Alright got it thanks