1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What would the world be like if c→∞ and h=0?

1. Dec 10, 2016 #1
    What would the world be like if the speed of light is infinity and the Planck constant is zero (therefore the world is totally Newtonian)?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2016 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

As you say, totally Newtonian.

4. Dec 10, 2016 #3

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

In that world, several things would happen that don't happen in the real world that we live in:
    - All atoms would be unstable, so there would be no matter as we know it.
    - Even if there was some way of getting around that unstable atom problem, objects would radiate unlimited amounts of energy and would never come into thermal equilibrium with their surroundings.
    And so on, through a long litany of problems.

The physicists of the early twentieth century didn't invent relativity and quantum mechanics because they were sadistic and wished to inflict pain on future generations of physics students. They invented relativity and quantum mechanics because (although it works really well in many areas) classical Newtonian mechanics doesn't completely explain the universe we live in.

5. Dec 10, 2016 #4

atyy

Science Advisor

Perhaps for these problems we only need h=0. I think for QED one can safely take c to infinity, since lattice QED with small enough spacing should be compatible with all QED experiments. I think the chiral fermion problem is one issue about which we don't yet know whether it is safe to take c to infinitity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted