Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What would you do with $425M?

1. Nov 26, 2012 #1

turbo

Gold Member

The Powerball is getting big. My wife and I aren't big on playing lotteries, but it's tempting to take a shot this time. I'd buy Misery Township, and put a nice but small house in the middle of it. Get totally off the grid, and hang out with my wife and Duke. We don't need much, but it would be fun to get away from people and live in the woods.

After looking out for taxes and maintenance, it would be fun to provide grants/scholarships for kids and let somebody else manage the money. We could fish the brooks and streams and ponds, and chill.

What would you do?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2012 #2

drizzle

Gold Member

I'd open businesses run by people to the people, supervised by me.. I'd give my family some. And for myself, I'd try to have as less as possible. :biggrin:

4. Nov 26, 2012 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would build a pool/ice rink (including speed-skating) in my home-town; I'd set up an endowment for my robotics team; I'd set aside between $500,000 and $1 mil for each of my kids; arrange to teach nothing but AP Physics; invest the rest in... I don't know, something to do with solar, I think. I'll worry about it when it happens. Which it won't.

I will never play the lottery, so I don't know why I'm even thinking about it. I'll have better luck suing some hapless guy who makes a mistake. What a country!

5. Nov 26, 2012 #4

drizzle

Gold Member

Lol Chi!

6. Nov 26, 2012 #5

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'd pay off my kids' house mortgages.

Then put a wind farm on top of a mountain west of Denver.

Then sign up for an aircraft mechanic course.
    And take some piano lessons.

And get that dent in my Oldsmobile fixed.

7. Nov 26, 2012 #6
    I'd try to get everyone in the country free solar panels. I'm in the Netherlands, so I might actually get pretty far.

8. Nov 26, 2012 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'd buy some socks, some oven mitts, get a real tv, give $400 million to no kill animal shelters and the rest to my kids.

9. Nov 26, 2012 #8
    How much do supercomputers go for?

10. Nov 26, 2012 #9
    Like a couple hundred million for a nice one and then maintenance is gonna be like half a dozen million per year

11. Nov 26, 2012 #10

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

build a log cabin in the woods with a huge barn for a workshop. i would then gut my current house and remodel it completely. the rest of the money would sit in the bank making a pittance of interest, but 1% on a buttload of cash is still enough to live on.

the cabin in the woods would have a sign out in front "trespassers will be shot, survivors shot again" and would be off a dirt road off of a dirt rural route, off of a road named by a letter, off of a road named by a number, in other words, really far out in the woods, so far out the meth dealers would be lost....

12. Nov 26, 2012 #11

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd give to PF and all my PF friends. Then have some beer.

13. Nov 27, 2012 #12
    I would buy a big house and open several businesses; I put some into charity and leave the rest into my bank account for benefits of some high interest rate.
    Today I'll buy a number, still don't know which one is good though. I bought many and won none.

14. Nov 27, 2012 #13

Pythagorean

Gold Member

as many pink ping pong balls as there are grains of sand.

15. Nov 27, 2012 #14

Drakkith

Build telescopes.

16. Nov 27, 2012 #15
    $424,999,900 on fast cars, faster women and booze, I'd squander the rest.

17. Nov 27, 2012 #16

jim mcnamara

I'd buy a tin of meat for the dog, and get a monthly bus pass. Don't need anything else.

18. Nov 27, 2012 #17

You don't need 425M for that!

19. Nov 27, 2012 #18
    Most of it would be given away to family members and my favorite charities. I'd probably keep about $50m for myself. I'd take a few million and buy rental properties for some long-term steady income (if I were to buy 10 copies of the property I already own, and get the same amount in rent, that's ~8k per month after expenses). This will insure that if I ever did go crazy and spend all my cash, I still have income. I'd set aside ~10 million for me to buy whatever the heck I wanted with it (in an initial burst of spending), and another ~10 million to do weird things with.

What do I mean by weird things? I'm not quite sure. Maybe a million will go to opening an experimental business. A strip club bingo hall or something. Maybe I'll walk into a 7-11 and buy literally everything off of every shelf. Maybe I'll buy a dozen mattresses and completely fill a room in my house with them, making it a literal "bed room". I don't know, but that would be my money for fun.

Anything left over gets invested conservatively until I found a better use for it.

Yeah... maybe I'll throw 2 dollars on this power ball.

20. Nov 27, 2012 #19

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd give a lot away, but the takers would have to promise to never ask me for money again.

Then I'd have the nicest little farm you could imagine.

21. Nov 27, 2012 #20

Borek

Bora Bora PF gathering, finally.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook