Elbobo said:
I want to make the best use of my time in undergrad, so I can't just sign up for everything. I want to apply to the top grad schools like Stanford's and MIT's.
So, can someone help me out? What're the best ones that'll make my application look better?
I would recommend doing activities that keep you sane. In other words, do things that you are passionate about and enjoy. This is less about what the grad school wants to see, and more about keeping a healthy mindset and not burning out trying to study all the time. Balance is important. Ironically, even time consuming activities could allow you to get better grades.
I agree that grad schools don't really care about particular activities, but it does give a good impression to have done other things, and it does look good to have outstanding grades while doing these other things. That speaks volumes about a person.
As an example, I did crew all 4 years of undergrad. This was time consuming and physically exhausting, and it was a pain to get up at 5:00 AM every morning. Yet my study time was very focused and effective because time was precious, and time on the water was inspiring to my soul. For me, this worked perfectly, but everyone is different, so you need to figure out what works for you.
I really don't know what impact my crew experience had on grad admissions, but it couldn't have hurt, and might have helped just a little. I know I was fully motivated to go into grad school, which is probably the most important thing, and this is something I attribute to living a somewhat balanced (or at least happy) life prior to that.