1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's a good book after Kline's Calculus?

1. Jun 17, 2014 #1
    Exactly as the title asks, I'm wondering what would be the best continuation to Kline's Calculus textbook. I honestly have found it to be absolutely excellent so far but where would I move to from there? Going to Spivak seems redundant but going to Apostol Vol. 2 seems like it'd be too much of a rigorous leap from the applied/physics-based Calculus that is Kline. Or is it? I'm not really sure... Please advise.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2014 #2

verty

Homework Helper

What is it that you want to learn from this new book?

4. Jun 17, 2014 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If you are interested in pure mathematics, then I can assure you that Spivak will not be redundant.

5. Jun 17, 2014 #4
    Well, I'm interested in learning multivariate calculus but more so in an introduction to analysis. Though it would seem like Spivak would be the answer. Would it be possible to move from Kline to Apostol Vol. 2 though, for example?

6. Jun 17, 2014 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

For some it is possible, for others not. I would say that for most people it is not possible. But you should probably try yourself.

One other thing, if I'm not mistaken then the end volume of Apostol contains an intro to linear algebra. You will definitely need this for Apostol 2.

7. Jun 17, 2014 #6
    Thank you. I'll certainly consider perhaps going through Apostol Vol. I then. So long as it's not merely a rehash of what I learned from Kline.

8. Jun 17, 2014 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, that seems redundant. Why not Spivak's Calculus and follow-up with his calculus on manifolds or something?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted