What's a good gravity substitute?

• Thread starter Noisy Rhysling
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, artificial gravity would be difficult to achieve and would require a large wheel. It would be less effective than spin gravity, and could be nauseating for some people.
Noisy Rhysling
The "constant acceleration" (CS) vs. "spin the wheel" (SW) options have advantages and disadvantages. As I understand it the "wheel" for a spin gravity-substitute would have to be about a kilometer across? But would use less fuel. The CS doesn't need a big wheel but you'd need a Bussard ramjet to provide fuel?

So, anything better? I'd like to limit the serious suggestions to things that can actually be done within the laws of physics. The non-serious suggestions should at least be funny.

Physics news on Phys.org
Noisy Rhysling said:
As I understand it the "wheel" for a spin gravity-substitute would have to be about a kilometer across?
That sounds unnecessarily large to me. Where did you hear that? I think that must have included some other constraints.

phinds said:
That sounds unnecessarily large to me. Where did you hear that? I think that must have included some other constraints.
Just heard it in passing, no provenance. I come here to double check what I hear elsewhere.

Noisy Rhysling said:
Just heard it in passing, no provenance. I come here to double check what I hear elsewhere.
Kind of hard to "double check" something that is unsourced. As I said, that likely included constraints that you have not mentioned. That's one reason that sources are important when you ask for an opinion on a statement.

Likes GTOM
phinds said:
Kind of hard to "double check" something that is unsourced. As I said, that likely included constraints that you have not mentioned. That's one reason that sources are important when you ask for an opinion on a statement.
Yeah, tossed it out to see if there was blood in the water. ;)

phinds said:
likely included constraints that you have not mentioned.
Coriolis effects less than some "acceptable" maximum?

Noisy Rhysling said:
As I understand it the "wheel" for a spin gravity-substitute would have to be about a kilometer across?
Depends on how fast it's spinning. A 20m diameter wheel would have to spin once every 6 seconds to maintain 1 g. That ain't so bad, is it?

Bandersnatch said:
Depends on how fast it's spinning. A 20m diameter wheel would have to spin once every 6 seconds to maintain 1 g. That ain't so bad, is it?
I get dizzy just thinking about it :smile:

Likes Bystander
Bandersnatch said:
But with a small wheel would there be issues of vertigo?

Noisy Rhysling said:
issues of vertigo?
Depends ... if you're used to things moving "freely" on highly curved trajectories, "No;" if not, "Yes."

Bystander said:
Depends ... if you're used to things moving "freely" on highly curved trajectories, "No;" if not, "Yes."
Would there be any serious problem acclimating to that sort of thing? Is it something some people can do and others can't despite their best efforts, or is it like learning to like broccoli?

I get seasick watching a washing machine, so I'd say it's "despite their best efforts."

Spinning is IMHO the best, the living quarters can be sent far away from the ships torso with telescopic arms.
I don't think 1km radius is needed, far less is enough, especially if people aboard are accustomed to it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_gravity

Likes Noisy Rhysling
Bystander said:
I get seasick watching a washing machine, so I'd say it's "despite their best efforts."
:console:

I'm a retired CPO, and the first time I went out I got sick. Wore off after what seemed like a century.

1. What is gravity and why is it important?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon that describes the attraction between objects with mass. It is important because it keeps us grounded on Earth, keeps the planets in orbit around the sun, and plays a role in many other physical processes.

2. Can gravity be substituted or replaced by another force?

No, gravity cannot be substituted or replaced by another force. It is a fundamental force of nature and is essential for the functioning of the universe.

3. Are there any proposed substitutes for gravity?

There have been various theories and ideas proposed as substitutes for gravity, such as dark energy or modified laws of gravity. However, these are still theoretical and have not been proven or accepted by the scientific community.

4. Is it possible to create artificial gravity?

Yes, it is possible to create artificial gravity through various methods such as centrifugal force, electromagnetic force, or acceleration. However, these methods are currently limited and are only feasible in controlled environments such as spacecrafts or rotating space stations.

5. What are the potential consequences of living without gravity?

Living without gravity would have severe consequences on the human body, as it is adapted to function under the influence of gravity. Without gravity, bones and muscles would weaken, the cardiovascular system would be affected, and various bodily functions would be disrupted. It would also have significant impacts on the environment and the functioning of ecosystems on Earth.