What's the best highschool biology book?

In summary, "Life: The Science of Biology" by Sadava et al. and "Essential Cell Biology" by Bruce Alberts et al. are two great textbooks for high school students who are new to the subject of biology. These books are easy to read and assume no prior knowledge in the field. "Life: The Science of Biology" is also recommended for introductory college courses, while "Essential Cell Biology" is more focused on cell and molecular biology.
Ankel
What's a good comprehensive book for a high school student on biology that has never studied the subject before?

(Campbell seems to be college/university-level so I can't touch that)

Physics news on Phys.org
IMO Cambell would be the equivalent of a typical AP biology course.

MY junior college uses it and a kid i tutor in math also use it.

I read parts myself and it was not a hard read.

MidgetDwarf said:
IMO Cambell would be the equivalent of a typical AP biology course.

MY junior college uses it and a kid i tutor in math also use it.

I read parts myself and it was not a hard read.

Thank you, I'd like to hear opinions from other people still.

I'd also welcome their opinions on the book http://www.amazon.com/dp/1464136394/?tag=pfamazon01-20

"Life: The Science of Biology" by Sadava et al. is another great textbook for the introductory biology course. If you are interested in the cell & molecular biology, I strongly recommend "Essential Cell Biology" by Bruce Alberts et al. That book can be read by motivated high-school student, and it assumes no foundational knowledge in the biology.

bacte2013 said:
"Life: The Science of Biology" by Sadava et al. is another great textbook for the introductory biology course. If you are interested in the cell & molecular biology, I strongly recommend "Essential Cell Biology" by Bruce Alberts et al. That book can be read by motivated high-school student, and it assumes no foundational knowledge in the biology.

Can that book by Sadava be read by a high school student too?

Ankel said:
(Campbell seems to be college/university-level so I can't touch that)

You can try it and see if you like it. It's pretty easy, I don't imagine one needs much more than an 8th or 10th grade background to read it.

1. What are the top recommended high school biology books?

The top recommended high school biology books are "Campbell Biology" by Lisa A. Urry, "Biology: The Dynamics of Life" by Alton Biggs, and "Biology" by Raven et al.

2. What makes these books the best for high school biology?

These books are considered the best for high school biology because they cover all the necessary topics in a comprehensive and understandable manner. They also include interactive activities and resources to aid in learning.

3. Are there any specific features to look for in a high school biology book?

Some important features to look for in a high school biology book include clear and concise explanations, relevant and up-to-date information, interactive activities and diagrams, and practice questions.

4. What are the differences between the top high school biology books?

The differences between the top high school biology books lie in their approach and style. "Campbell Biology" is known for its detailed and in-depth explanations, while "Biology: The Dynamics of Life" has a more interactive and visually appealing format. "Biology" by Raven et al. is known for its focus on critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

5. Are there any online resources that can supplement these books?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement these books, such as interactive quizzes, videos, and study guides. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, Crash Course, and Biology Corner.