Using Cell Biology Book From 1983

In summary, the conversation discusses the suggestion from the bio department to read Alberts' Molecular Biology of the Cell over the summer in preparation for a course next year. However, the only available book is the 1983 edition and the individual is unsure if it would still be relevant given the changes in cell biology over the past three decades. It is suggested to read more recent material online for free due to the NIH open access policy, and examples of relevant articles and journals are provided. It is also mentioned that used copies of more recent editions of the book are available for a low cost.
zooxanthellae
The bio department at my university encouraged that I "take a look at" Alberts' Molecular Biology of the Cell over this summer in preparation for a course next year. The problem with this is that I don't want to actually buy a $100+ book just for that, but the only book I have borrowing access to is the 1983 edition (the latest edition is 2008, I believe).

My question is whether or not this would be a good thing to use. I'd imagine cell biology has seen a lot of changes over the past 3 decades. Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
If it covers restriction enzymes it should be fine. I think the only new "concept" since then has been siRNA, which I think was first appreciated in plants in the mid-80s, and then more generally after the late 90s.

You can read some more recent stuff online for free due to teh NIH open access policy - not the most recent stuff since the policy allows an article to age for 12 months before requiring it to be free, nor the older stuff, since the policy didn't exist then. Examples from journals that need a subscription are http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20463739 and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20085706. There are also open access journals such as http://www.plosbiology.org/home.action and http://www.frontiersin.org/non-coding_rna.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not compared the various editions but that sounds like a long time for a field like cell biology. Used copies of the 4th edition (2003) are available from Amazon for about $14 including shipping. If that is too much, 3rd editions (1994) are available for the cost of shipping ($4). That would at least get you another decade of revisions.

Related to Using Cell Biology Book From 1983

1. What is the relevance of using a cell biology book from 1983?

The relevance of using a cell biology book from 1983 depends on the specific topic being studied. While some basic principles of cell biology remain the same, there have been significant advancements and discoveries in the field since 1983. It is important to use more recent resources to ensure accuracy and relevance of information.

2. Can I use a cell biology book from 1983 for my research?

It is not recommended to use a cell biology book from 1983 for research purposes as it may not contain the most up-to-date and accurate information. It is best to consult more recent sources to ensure the reliability of your research.

3. Are there any limitations to using a cell biology book from 1983?

Yes, there are potential limitations to using a cell biology book from 1983. It may not include recent discoveries and advancements in the field, and some information may have been disproven or updated since the book was published. It is important to consider these limitations when using older resources.

4. How can I supplement the information from a cell biology book from 1983?

You can supplement the information from a cell biology book from 1983 by consulting more recent sources such as scientific journals, articles, and textbooks. Additionally, you can attend lectures or conferences on cell biology to learn about the latest research and advancements in the field.

5. Can I use a cell biology book from 1983 for educational purposes?

While using a cell biology book from 1983 for educational purposes may provide a historical perspective, it is not recommended as the sole source of information. It is important to use more recent and accurate resources for educational purposes to ensure that students are learning the most up-to-date information in the field of cell biology.