What's the Best Option? EE/CS Dual Major vs CE

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between a Computer Science and Electrical Engineering Dual Major/Degree and a Computer Engineering Major. They also talk about the types of courses and knowledge covered in each program and the difference between the approach of CS and CE in terms of building systems. The conversation suggests that someone who enjoys understanding the theory and concept behind a system would be better suited for CS, while someone who enjoys hands-on building and improving the system would be better suited for CE.
Alex Eyfoqer
I'm still exploring which field is for me, and to ask which is better would be pointless. So instead I want to know: what exactly is the difference between a Computer Science and Electrical Engineering Dual Major/Degree as opposed to a Computer Engineering Major?
I realize computer engineering is a blend of the two, but are there any specific bits of knowledge or courses that would be covered in a Computer Engineering program that would not commonly be found in either CS or EE? Vice Versa?
From your knowledge, are there any common courses exclusive to Computer Engineering programs, or do you simply share some classes with EE majors and other classes with CS majors?

Physics news on Phys.org
A different approach would be to make a list of the sorts of jobs you would be most compatible with and where you feel you could enjoy excelling, more than the rest.

In simplistic terms;
CS is concerned with the "methods" needed to be employed by a system, to achieve the intended outcome.
CE is concerned with building and prototyping the "system" that is required by the above method.

Would you define yourself as being the type of person that thrives on knowing "Why" something works or must be designed a specific way, or are you more hands on and excel at building something to meet a predefined need?

Likes Alex Eyfoqer
I guess I would be geared more on the "why" something works toward meeting a certain outcome. What would you suggest is a more appropriate route?

Imo,

Science is developing the theory that leads to the definition of the desired outcome, and understanding "why" you need "A" system to accomplish your goal. The system can grow into a working model to further refine the theory and deliverable outcomes that are more likely to be also desirable. Theories can also be adjusted more readily for other but comparable systems as they more reflect a concept than a physical "device". I quoted "A" system as the Science is more concerned with creating a single iteration of each workable system or device.

Engineering leans more to developing a working system or device in a way that is repeatable, efficient, and can consistently meet the requirements designed at the science stage. Repeatable in both; the system reaching the same level of accuracy and in being able to reproduce multiple iterations of each system, that will approach equality or improvement to the prototype.

Consider, building a robot, for example.
CS would function to determine what concepts the robot would have to calculate through in order to properly respond to their environment, then eventually build a robot that would respond in that way. It begins by defining ideal, then strives to build something that approaches ideal design.

CE would function to build a robot that calculates through various concepts, to respond to it's environment in some way, then fine tune those responses to eventually respond properly, according to the above. It begins by building something, redefining the design at each step what ideal should be, and improves the original device to be more ideal.

For my example of robotics then, if you like crafting the mathematical algorithms that determines the robots logic, CS is the better choice. If you more favor the mechanics or software coding of implementing those algorithms, CE would be the better choice.

Related to What's the Best Option? EE/CS Dual Major vs CE

1. What is the difference between EE/CS dual major and CE?

EE/CS dual major combines the fields of electrical engineering and computer science, while CE (computer engineering) focuses specifically on the design and development of computer systems and hardware.

2. Which option offers better job opportunities?

Both EE/CS dual major and CE offer excellent job opportunities in the technology industry. It ultimately depends on the specific job market and your personal interests and skills.

3. Will one option be more challenging than the other?

Both EE/CS dual major and CE require strong mathematical and problem-solving skills. However, CE may focus more on the hardware side of technology, while EE/CS dual major may have a heavier emphasis on coding and software development.

4. Can I switch between these options during my studies?

It is possible to switch between these options during your studies, but it may require additional coursework and may extend your graduation timeline. It is important to consult with your academic advisor before making any changes.

5. Which option is better for a career in research?

Both EE/CS dual major and CE can lead to careers in research, as both fields involve advanced problem-solving and critical thinking skills. It may be beneficial to research specific research opportunities and see which option aligns more with your interests.