What's the most complicated circuit you know?

1. By that I mean a circuit that can't be broken into separate blocks that... err... do something by themselves.

For example, one can get a pretty lengthy circuit consisting of an RF amplifier / mixer / oscillator / IF amplifier / FM demodulator / audio amplifier / power amplifier / etc... but these are really individual blocks joined in together, which many times can be used for other unrelated applications (as that same power amplifier can amplify a PC audio output).

So, while a FM radio may be a complicated little thingie, it is built out of smaller blocks that, once identified, can be analyzed one by one. I'm talking about those building blocks themselves... what's the most complicated one you know of?

For that I nominate the cubic-function generator by Cipriani and Takeshian from Conexant:

Link to patent

Anything else can beat that?

2. jcsd
  3. jim hardy

jim hardy 5,006
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

self-saturating magnetic amplifier

4. Having formerly worked for a test equipment manufacturer, my list is quite long.

5. You have a sample of that circuit?

6. How do you determine how much complicated a circuit is ???

7. jim hardy

jim hardy 5,006
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

i might have physical one laying amongst my junk, and i have two books on them

newer book is 1954 by Willaim A Geyger, "Magnetic Amplifier Circuits"

older has sumberged amid the chaos.... it was around 1940

to my considerable surprise they are making a comeback as feedback elements in switching power supplies !
    to me they were the best for ultra-reliable critical low frequency applications like our emergency diesel voltage regulators. ( never trust a computer with anything important )

they still defy precise mathematical analysis because of the nonlinearity of magnetics.

here's a nostalgic writeup..

http://www.themeasuringsystemofthegods.com/magnetic amplifiers.pdf

8. All circuits that displays chaotic behavior, at least 2-D, are really beyond deterministic modeling. They can be numerically simulated, that is all.

9. Each can use their own criteria.. this is not an exact thread - it's just curiosity :)

10. Wow, that's fascinating stuff.

I have to admit, perhaps I may have heard something about this in college, but if I did I forgot everything. I don't remember anything about "magnetic amplifiers".

Thank you, Jim.

11. Haha, yes.

Well I'll suggest 10 Transistor SRAM cell.

12. Its some wonderful stuff. But interference might be a problem here.

13. Also PTAT bandgap reference circuits.

14. I can do better.

A single bipolar transistor common emitter amplifier...with a damaged junction.

It displays mind-boggling complexity (chaos), if one tries to study the output as a function of the input.

15. Bobbywhy

Bobbywhy 1,908
    Gold Member

Old Jim, Thanks for the Mag Amp pdf document! I read it over with great memories...I adjusted the Mag Amps on the AN/APQ-72 Fire Control Radar in the F-4B Phantom. (1963) They were used in a servo-control loop of the hydraulically actuated parabolic radar antenna. They were extremely sensitive to adjust. An ordinary metal screwdriver coming near to them would affect their output. We finally learned to use wooden "orange sticks" to set them. The complexity of their theory of operation is more than I could ever digest or understand.

16. That's a fair point, but what's the function of a circuit that is chaotic and can't be modeled or predicted? Besides generating a chaotic and unpredictable signal, that is?

17. jim hardy

jim hardy 5,006
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

fbs7 and phys -- - i think that's why life is lived forward and understood backward.

"I have never been able to think things out. I have to live them out, thinking as i go along." eric hoffer

18. f95toli

f95toli 2,414
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some circuits have "regions" in their parameter space where they are chaotic and very useful (unless you want to for example generate noise), but might exhibit predictable (using numerical methods) behaviour elsewhere.
    Certain types of parametric amplifiers would presumably be an example, especially bifurcation amplifiers.

19. Yeah! But, does not the nonlinearity of the amplifier belong to the nonlinearity of a single device?

20. Encryption.

Pass a signal through a chaotic circuit and as long as the inverse chaotic behavior can by synthesized (like the key) the original signal can be recovered. Research has found chaotic circuits with inverses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?