Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whats with all the mis-information

1. May 26, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

So yet again I've come upon another "famous quote" by a founding father on some persons sig that turned out to be fake and was actually termed by someone from only a few years back. Looking for people with something intelligent (or accurate to be exacty) to say as regards to science is almost impossible as well. One of my professors said 75% of whats on the web is total BS. My question is... why is this? What about the internet lends itself (if it does) towards massive amounts of disinformation and lieing?

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Maybe the same thing that makes it full of spelling and grammar like yours. :tongue:

4. May 26, 2005 #3
    What was it?

5. May 26, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

*surrenders to the grammer police*

6. May 26, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Someone claims thomas jefferson said "dissent is the highest form of patriotism". Turned out to be coined by some Howard Zinn a few years back.

7. May 26, 2005 #6
    How do you know Jefferson never said it, and that this Zinn didn't plagiarize him?

8. May 26, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

searched archives of his quotes and the context of what the guy said a few years back makes no mention of our founding fathers or history in general.

9. May 26, 2005 #8
    Contact the person who has it in their sig and ask where Jefferson said it. His "quotes" means nothing. You'd have to read every damn word he wrote to be sure he didn't say it.

10. May 26, 2005 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well im sure he doesnt have a time machine or any other piece of equipment that makes him privvy to any information that we have. He wont respond as to where he got the quote.

11. May 26, 2005 #10
    I have no idea what this means.
    This is someone at PF?

12. May 26, 2005 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Oh god no, someone on some stupid gaming forum said this

13. May 26, 2005 #12
    Quotes are tricky. Sometimes several different people have said different versions of the same thing. Sometimes one quote is attributed to several different people. Who said: "England and America are two countries separated by a common language." ?

14. May 26, 2005 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well I dont think this was the case. Some websites were even citing this as a 'myth' and I couldnt find a website that gave the quote in its actual context or where/when it was said.

15. May 26, 2005 #14
    Well, the only thing you can do is publically challenge that person to either prove Jefferson said it or stop attributing it to him.

16. May 26, 2005 #15

Danger

Gold Member

I can't believe this! It's like the whole 'aunt' thing in the other thread. "On-line this", "On-line that". Why don't any of you ever look something up in a ****ing book and get the real facts?

17. May 26, 2005 #16
    Look it up for us, Mr. Research.

18. May 26, 2005 #17

Danger

Gold Member

Anything significant, I would. Who cares what some dead Yank said or didn't? The point remains that with the exception of subsidy publishers, who would stoop so low as to print something written by William Proxmire since the writer pays them, most things put out by a reputable publishing house have been researched and cleared by a legal department before publication. In the case of quotes, it's pretty much guaranteed that they're credible at least to the point of having been witnessed by one or more people. In addition, a lot of personal and public correspondence by historical figures exists in original form in some museum or private collection. That's where many quotes are gathered from, whether or not the utterance thereof was ever publicized.
    Any web-site that you turn to as an authority could very well be controlled by a 10 year-old who still believes in the Tooth Fairy.

19. May 26, 2005 #18
    The trouble is, as I said, you'd have to read every word Jefferson ever wrote to prove he didn't say one thing or another. Better to challenge the person attributing something to him to show where they found it.

20. May 26, 2005 #19

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ok how bout lets throw this back onto the topic i wanted it to be lol. In general, why is there so much BS online?

21. May 26, 2005 #20
    Well, so far all you've presented is a obviously made up statistic by one of your teachers, and a complaint from you about one person whom you can't prove is wrong. As a matter of fact, most of the info I've looked up on the web has turned out to be perfectly fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?