Question about STEM majors & worried about future

In summary, the conversation discusses a high school senior's concerns about pursuing engineering as a major in college. They excel in math and science classes but struggle with getting good grades on tests and quizzes. They are considering alternative options in case engineering does not work out for them but also have a strong interest in pursuing a PhD. They seek advice on how to improve their grades and find a studying method that works for them.
Ritzycat
I am a high school senior and I am going to go to college next year. For the last year or so I thought I would be doing engineering. I am worrying that I am not intelligent enough to do engineering. Of all the engineering disciplines I was most appealed to chemical engineering. I am currently in AP Chemistry and I took honors chem last year. I feel like I understand all the material and I remember almost everything from last year (we just finished a review unit) but I can never seem to do well on the tests / most the quizzes. On my first AP Physics test this year I got an 86.80 and my first chem test I got a 76. Of all the chem tests I took last year I got one A. The thing is I feel like I know the material much better than what test scores show. I feel like I should be getting A's on these but I'm not. I solve the problem sets outside of class or in class very quickly and get the right answers. It never seems to translate onto exams. As for studying, I do study in chemistry. I've never been a big "studier" and I am not 100% sure why. Studying never really helped me much. Reviewing notes, flash cards, doing practice problems etc. Did not give me much of an advantage. I usually take things in during class and the homework is a breeze. I feel this may be a problem later on when I am faced with grueling engineering courses.

I routinely do well on math tests (I am currently in Pre-Calculus, I would be in AP calc if I was able to do Alg1 in 8th grade instead of freshman year). Algebra is a breeze to me and I feel I am grasping the trig in pre-calc well thus far. I'm planning on taking Calculus at CC over summer before I go to college.

English and history are always ridiculously easy for me. But my career interests don't really lay in those areas.

The average on that first chem test was an 87 and it was really disappointing to know that haven I got a 76. Plus the fact I got one A in Honors Chem last year on all tests. Chemistry has been my favorite class of all but what does it matter if I'm not good at it.

So, I am trying to seek alternatives in case engineering does not work out for me. Is 'STEM' really that hyped up? I want to keep options open to me, like potentially doing a PhD one day but in case that does not work out I want an employable degree. At least from what I have heard, BS degrees in pure sciences or math generally aren't that employable at the bachelor's level. Only engineering really is in this whole "STEM" thing. My mother is very biased towards me doing engineering because she does not want me to be reliant on her (which I understand) if I pick a silly major.

I am aware that college students change their major several times on average but I have been doing as much research as I can beforehand so I know what fields are even worth pursuing. I absolutely love Ancient History but there's no jobs there and I can't get a PhD in that field without tossing a few hundred thousand dollars in the trash.

To be honest I am not really concerned about being rich. I am perfectly fine living a modest lifestyle if I can do what I love. I felt i was lucky at first for having my interests (engineering) lie in such a lucrative field but I have a feeling that it won't work out for me. I want back up plans but I want back ups for those back ups too if you know what I mean. (End goal to get a PhD but in case that doesn't work out, the BS degree is liveable itself).

Sorry for the long-winded post, had a lot on my mind that I wanted to get out.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are interested in chemical engineering I recommend you pursue it.

If you think you know the material and still get bad grades, why don't you look at what you are doing wrong?
If you think you understand the material chances are you have a good grasp on it, and there are just a few little things wrong. Talk to your teacher about it. Don't give up on something you enjoy simply because you get bad grades.

In high school I too was never a big studier. When I got to more difficult classes in college I started to study. Obviously everyone has a method that clicks for them, mine was to go over practice problems until I truly understood the theory behind the solution. Then I would do more complicated problems. You too will find your method eventually!

1. What are the most popular STEM majors?

According to recent data, the five most popular STEM majors are computer science, engineering, biology, mathematics, and physics.

2. Are job prospects good for STEM majors?

Yes, job prospects for STEM majors are generally very good. Many industries, such as technology, healthcare, and finance, are in high demand for STEM professionals.

3. Will having a STEM major guarantee a high-paying job?

Having a STEM major can increase your chances of getting a high-paying job, but it is not a guarantee. Factors such as skills, experience, and industry demand also play a role in determining salary.

4. What if I am not good at math or science, can I still pursue a STEM major?

Absolutely! While a strong foundation in math and science can be helpful, there are many different types of STEM majors that may not require advanced math or science skills. There are also resources available, such as tutoring and study groups, to help you succeed in these subjects.

5. Will a STEM major limit my career options?

No, a STEM major can actually open up a wide range of career options. Many STEM majors provide a strong foundation in problem-solving, critical thinking, and technical skills that are valuable in a variety of industries.