Why Did People in the Past Have White Hair?

• Thread starter Psinter
  • Start date
In summary: I see. So fashion goes back quite a ways then. It's interesting to read about all the different styles.Thank you for your input. In summary, this conversation discusses the history of fashion and how it has changed over time.
Psinter
Would you look me in the eyes and tell me something isn't going on here ಠ_ಠ. What's with the weird white hair that looks like a wig? Did they have fashion too in those times?
And finally him, who was no scientist whatsoever, but also has the same style:

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, fashion goes back as long as humans.

For various periods in history, it was very common for wealthier people to cut their natural hair short and wear long wigs instead, which were easier to keep clean and free of nits. Wigs were often powdered to modify the appearance. Later, younger people followed similar styles using their natural hair. See the Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wig for more information.

Likes Psinter
Ah. It makes sense. Nits are nasty creatures that for some reason are found a lot in elementary school crawling the heads of the kids. It's like they are magnets for nits. But I wasn't aware the adults used to get them too in the past. I have yet to see an adult with nits these days. There must be, but it's not common from where I'm from. The common thing is for kids to have them.

1. Why do some people have white hair as they age?

As we get older, the cells responsible for producing melanin (the pigment that gives hair its color) start to die off. This leads to less melanin being produced and eventually, white hair.

2. Can stress cause white hair?

While there is no direct link between stress and white hair, chronic stress can lead to a condition called telogen effluvium, which causes hair to enter the resting phase and eventually fall out. This can make it seem like hair is turning white, but it is actually just new growth coming in without any color.

3. Is white hair genetic?

Yes, the age at which someone starts to go gray is largely determined by genetics. If your parents or grandparents started to go gray early, chances are you will too.

4. Can white hair turn back to its original color?

Unfortunately, once hair has turned white due to the loss of melanin, it cannot regain its color naturally. However, there are hair dyes and other treatments that can help cover up white hair and restore some color.

5. Does having white hair mean you are unhealthy?

No, white hair is a natural part of the aging process and does not necessarily indicate any health issues. However, it is always important to consult with a doctor if you notice any sudden changes in your hair or overall health.

Back