Is Proper Introduction Etiquette Lacking in the Scientific Community?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Geez, what's up with people today? It's so rude for new people to join a lab and not be introduced, then I went to inform who the new person/student is and still: no introduction, they walk away to find a pipette. Unbelievable. Should I just block them from future communications? :grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Reminds me of a place I used to work, where we would have tours through from time to time. Our boss was, erm, especially challenged when it came to social skills. He brought a tour through once and we briefly stopped what we were doing as our boss described the instruments and what they do. We stood in front of the instruments waiting to be introduced. He *skipped over* each of us and went on "introducing" the equipment! Jeez! Left us just standing there, dumbfounded.

But yes, some people definitely have terrible social skills. I'd give a new person a bit of slack, he/she may simply be nervous.

lisab said:
But yes, some people definitely have terrible social skills. I'd give a new person a bit of slack, he/she may simply be nervous.
Yes, terrible social skills. The new person and employee were walking around, so I asked whether the student belonged to her. The only answer was "yes". Later I tried to introduce myself directly to the student, but that wasn't too successful either :rolleyes: It really shouldn't be that difficult, it should be fun to welcome new people!

Now I'm just annoyed, but don't want to appear to be too judgmental, which makes me more irritated about the situation. I should just let it slide.. deep breath.

They say there are about a dozen people working in our lab, but I only have eyes for vacuum chambers and electronics! :wink:

I worked in a lab where the supervisor would introduce herself and title when a group came through; but no one else.