1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whats wrong with my work for improper integral?

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [itex]∫^{∞}_{1}[/itex][itex]\frac{dx}{x(2x+5)}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    Mathematica told me that the answer was [itex]\frac{1}{5}[/itex]nl([itex]\frac{7}{2}[/itex])

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is my work.

[itex]∫^{∞}_{1}[/itex][itex]\frac{dx}{x(2x+5)}[/itex] = [itex]lim_{M\rightarrow∞}[/itex][itex]∫^{M}_{1}[/itex][itex]\frac{dx}{x(2x+5)}[/itex] = [itex]lim_{M\rightarrow∞}[/itex][itex]∫^{M}_{1}[/itex][itex]\frac{\frac{1}{5}}{x}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{\frac{-2}{5}}{2x+5}[/itex] = [itex]lim_{M\rightarrow∞}[/itex](([itex]\frac{1}{5}[/itex][itex]∫^{M}_{1}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex])-([itex]\frac{2}{5}[/itex][itex]∫^{M}_{1}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{2x+5}[/itex])) = [itex]lim_{M\rightarrow∞}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{5}[/itex][itex](nl(x)-nl(2x+5))^{M}_{1}[/itex] = [itex]lim_{M\rightarrow∞}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{5}[/itex]((nl(M)-nl(2M+5))-(nl(1)-nl(7))) = [itex]lim_{M\rightarrow∞}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{5}[/itex]((nl(M)-nl(2M+5))-(0-nl(7))) = [itex]\frac{1}{5}[/itex]((∞-∞)+nl(7)) = [itex]\frac{1}{5}[/itex]nl(7) .

I'm looking at it over and over again but I just can't seem to figure out where that nl(2) from mathematica came from. Could someone please look at my work and tell me what is wrong with it? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I've never seen natural log as nl. Usually it's either ln, or simply log.

Where you have nl(1), you should have nl(2) for nl(2x+5) evaluated at x = 1.

That should do it !

4. Oct 9, 2011 #3
    Hi SammyS,

Thanks for the help. I knew nl looked kind of weird. haha. For the sake of keeping it from getting confusing I'll finish this thread with it.

I don't understand what you mean though. For nl(1), I had nl(x) and I evaluated at x = 1. That's why I had nl(1). Shouldn't nl(2x+5) evaluated a x = 1 be nl(7)?

5. Oct 9, 2011 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have a problem evaluating the upper limit of the integral as M approaches infinity. In your next to last expression, infinity - infinity is not equal to zero.

It would be easier to determine the indefinite integral before applying the limits of integration.

6. Oct 9, 2011 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you are correct. I merely had a brain cramp. (DUH !)

Look at SteamKing's post. regarding ∞ - ∞. I think that's where you may find the ln(2) you're looking for.

7. Oct 9, 2011 #6
    OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. *bangs head on table*

Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook