1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's your opinion on my method for learning calculus?

1. Sep 6, 2012 #1

Tri

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2012 #2
    The second and third books aren't at all essential for learning calculus. The second book is really just about proofs and not at all necessary for learning calculus. I'd get the first one -- which looks like a great calculus textbook -- and get the other two further down the road when you have some more mathematical experience under your belt. Real and complex analyses are far from easy subjects to learn, especially on your own. Almost all students would take those classes in the order of: calculus, then mathematical proofs and theory, real analysis and then complex analysis.

4. Sep 6, 2012 #3

Tri

Well this wasn't my idea. I made a thread asking which calculus book was most efficient in self learning, and this guy suggested Spivak, but then another guy said that the only way I would be able to comprehend that book is with a book on proofs and real analysis, hence my selection.

5. Sep 6, 2012 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Spivak as a first course in calculus, with no prior exposure to proofs, for self study? Whoever told you to do spivak was messing with you.

6. Sep 6, 2012 #5
    Yeah I've heard that Spivak is extremely theoretical and incredibly difficult; self learning through such a textbook with no prior experience to calculus or proofs would be brutal. If i were you, I'd pick another calculus textbook and go from there. Since it seems like you're looking for a more extensive and detail oriented book, I'd go with this bad boy: https://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Calcu...UTF8&qid=1346993260&sr=8-46&keywords=calculus

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  7. Sep 6, 2012 #6
    I haven't read the second book, but Spivak and Shilov are great provided that you've been exposed to Calculus (at the level of, say, Calculus Made Easy). I don't believe, despite its title, that Shilov is much more difficult than Spivak; Shilov is far more intuitive than the standard intro analysis book. Also, I suspect that Shilov actually meant for his book to be an easy introduction to Calculus (else he wouldn't have included the section on the volumes of revolutions of curves about an axis).

8. Sep 7, 2012 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i think you should read them to find out for yourself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook