What's Your Speciality? Genetics, Nuclear Physics, Maths & Politics

• Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation covers a variety of topics including specialties in various fields such as genetics, nuclear physics, invisible mathematics, politics, neuroendocrinology, reproductive behavior, condensed matter physics, math, logic, crosswords, brain teasers, puzzles, physical and political geography, history, trivia, engineering, chemistry, materials science, and more. The conversation also touches on personal interests such as classical piano, classical guitar, philosophy, children, games, Linux, mechanical engineering, astronomy, computers, sound engineering, drama, writing, art, music, fluid mechanics, women, U2 songs, sleeping, eating, gambling, dealing with gamblers, conmen, drunks, and fools. There is also a brief discussion on the
Smurf
Be it Genetics, Nuclear Physics, Invisible Mathematics or Politics.
Let us know what your speciality is.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bristle brushes, dry mops, dual-disk waxing machines. Call me a renaissance man.

Okay, I had a long-winded answer all typed out and decided that was way too much. So, I think I'll stick with a simpler answer: neuroendocrinology of reproduction and reproductive behavior. My interests are somewhat interdisciplinary, so no one field of biology can contain me. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
reproductive behavior
I have data for you :smile:

Sorry :shy:

Nobody is as good as me to be discredited, but my other speciality is quarks. I like glue too. Nothing to do with reproduction, at first sight only. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Okay, I had a long-winded answer all typed out and decided that was way too much. So, I think I'll stick with a simpler answer: neuroendocrinology of reproduction and reproductive behavior. My interests are somewhat interdisciplinary, so no one field of biology can contain me. :biggrin:
so... sex?

My specialty is beating crackpots into submission.

Smurf said:
Whats your speciality?

I think I have generalities. Here's my long-winded answer :

I'm currently specializing in a small area within Condensed Matter (solid state) Physics, but I'm also into the following :

Math, logic, crosswords ,brain teasers and puzzles

Physical and political geography

Ancient (and a little modern) history, history of math and science

Trivia - science, math, music, history, some sports, others

General Engineering - design, machining, physical (and some mechanical) metallurgy, some electrical (mostly in instrumentation, grounding, low noise measurement, etc.), casual interest in marine design (especially submarine design), vibrations isolation techniques, some hydraulic and HVAC design

Chemistry - mostly physical and synthetic inorganic, a wee bit o' organic

Materials Science - crystallography, characterization, worked with giant magnetoresistance, permanent magnet intermetallics, cuprate superconductors, some III-V compunds, etc.

Other itty bitty bits.

Smurf said:
so... sex?

That probably would have been the simplest answer, but if I just said my specialty was sex, you might have had a whole different impression of me.

Ahh finally a real answer :-p . Thank you Gokul.

Smurf said:
Ahh finally a real answer :-p . Thank you Gokul.

Hey! My answer was a real answer too! :mad:

Fine. 2 real answers... happy?
I'm going to bed now :mad:

Smurf said:
Fine. 2 real answers... happy?
I'm going to bed now :mad:

:smile: Yep, happy now. :biggrin:

Janitor said:
dual-disk waxing machines.

I'd love to use one of those. They're kinda neat. :approve:

Moonbear said:
That probably would have been the simplest answer, but if I just said my specialty was sex, you might have had a whole different impression of me.

no no.. still have the same impression;)

So you know quite a bit about... sex huh? :biggrin:

Moonbear said:

Physics is like sex, load s of fun. Dual specialty for me!

Classical Piano, a lil classical guitar too. A lil philosophy. And a lil Children. And a lil games. And lil.

Sex is like software, its better when its free!

Linux.

Moonbear said:
neuroendocrinology of reproduction and reproductive behavior.
In the words of Monty Python: Sex, sex...sex, sex, sex.

That explains this:
Novel Protein Absent in Get-Too-Much Syndrome (GTMS) Patients
P.F. Moonbear
Center for GTMS Studies

My main fields of interest are Mechanical Engineering, Astronomy (building telescopes is one of my hobbies), Computers, sound engineering (interested, but not very good), drama (acting, directing, script writing, set design, lighting design, puppetry), writing, art (painting, drawing, woodcarving, illustration) and music (guitar, piano, writing songs), general physics.

For me all in the world are Fluid Mechanics, women, U2 songs, sleeping, eating, and sometimes studying for passing my exams!.

Yup, u2 is my favourite band, my main interest is social sciences: philosophy, music, art, and archeology.

Ah, sex is a very hot theme we need more time to debate before we can cool it down, is that correct ? :wink:
by the way, I am from Canada, Ottawa. Nice to meet you guys here.

Hbaw said:
Ah, sex is a very hot theme we need more time to debate before we can cool it down, is that correct ? :wink:

Sex calm be calm now. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

My speciality is gambling. And dealing with gamblers. And conmen, and drunks, and fools. I am the perfect betting shop manager.

What about nothing, nothing seems good to me. It's hard though, my time seems to be taken up with other things, or maybe not. Does reading this count as nothing

Ba said:
What about nothing, nothing seems good to me. It's hard though, my time seems to be taken up with other things, or maybe not. Does reading this count as nothing
Sure, :redface: only after site manager deletes the whole thread. Everything returns to nothing/zero

Hbaw said:
Ahh good, we need more canucks in this site.

Hbaw said:

Mmmm...canucks...eh...

Sex can be cooled down? what? Where's the fun in that?

FAQ: What's Your Speciality? Genetics, Nuclear Physics, Maths & Politics

1. What is Genetics?

Genetics is the branch of biology that studies how traits and characteristics are passed down from one generation to the next through genes. It encompasses various topics such as heredity, DNA, genetic variations, and genetic disorders.

2. What is Nuclear Physics?

Nuclear physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of atomic nuclei and the particles that make them up. It involves the study of nuclear reactions, nuclear energy, and the behavior of matter at the atomic level.

3. What is Maths?

Maths, or mathematics, is a field of study that deals with numbers, quantities, and shapes. It involves the use of various methods and techniques to solve problems and understand patterns in the world around us.

4. What is Politics?

Politics is the study of power, government, and public policy. It involves analyzing how societies make decisions, allocate resources, and exercise authority at local, national, and international levels.

5. What are the different areas of focus within Genetics, Nuclear Physics, Maths, and Politics?

Genetics encompasses various subfields such as molecular genetics, population genetics, and evolutionary genetics. Nuclear physics includes specialties such as nuclear fusion, nuclear fission, and nuclear astrophysics. Maths has various disciplines such as algebra, geometry, and calculus. Politics includes subfields such as international relations, political theory, and comparative politics.