When an object hits the ground - ?

• Thread starter the_force
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ground
In summary, the conversation is about determining the amount of "bounce" an object has when it hits the ground and the physics and principles involved in this process. The factors that determine the bounce are the object's ability to convert kinetic energy into potential energy, the hardness of the ground, and the amount of energy lost during impact. The principle of restitution or the coefficient of restitution may also play a role in determining the bounce.
the_force
Hi everyone.

I am doing research for a technical analysis study, and I need a little help.

What determines the amount of "bounce" an objects creates when it hits the ground?

Now, this object is a perfect shape hitting a even floor, so the angle should have nothing to do with it.

Is it the speed? weight of object?

What physics/principles are in play?

Thank you for any help.
Take care!
-The Force

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're probably not too clear about what the word "buoyancy" means:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buoyancy

"In physics, buoyancy is an upward force on an object immersed in a fluid (i.e., a liquid or a gas), enabling it to float or at least to appear lighter. Buoyancy is important for many vehicles such as boats, ships, balloons, and airships."

zoobyshoe said:
I think you're probably not too clear about what the word "buoyancy" means:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buoyancy

"In physics, buoyancy is an upward force on an object immersed in a fluid (i.e., a liquid or a gas), enabling it to float or at least to appear lighter. Buoyancy is important for many vehicles such as boats, ships, balloons, and airships."

EDIT - Not what I ment to say.

Can you help me out by any chance?
Thanks!

I'm not sure if this is the correct term, but the 'modulus of elasticity' of both objects is a primary factor. Every substance has an inherent 'bounciness' based upon its molecular structure. The impact speed and mass of both objects will make a difference as well.

Danger said:
I'm not sure if this is the correct term, but the 'modulus of elasticity' of both objects is a primary factor. Every substance has an inherent 'bounciness' based upon its molecular structure. The impact speed and mass of both objects will make a difference as well.

Great, thank you for that reply!

Do you know, or know a site that can explain in detail this principle? I need to know this principle and type of physics in great detail, as my research, funny enough, is based on an object hitting the ground :)

Thanks again,
-The force

the_force said:
What determines the amount of "bounce" an objects creates when it hits the ground?

Now, this object is a perfect shape hitting a even floor, so the angle should have nothing to do with it.
All this isn't too clear.

Do you want to know what determines how high an object will bounce after being dropped? Or is it thrown onto the floor at an angle?

zoobyshoe said:
All this isn't too clear.

Do you want to know what determines how high an object will bounce after being dropped? Or is it thrown onto the floor at an angle?

No, just meant that the research I am doing, the out-come can only be a movement up or down.

Sorry for being so vague, but it's kind of hard to explain. Maybe if I explain the research a little more.

Let's say you are charting something that is seemingly random, but with some predictability, you have a support for the graph and a resistance. Now, when you add volume into why the object is falling, will it cause a larger (higher bounce) when whatever you are charting hits the support line.

I need to know the principle behind why an object bounces back up when it hits a surface, and the reason for how high it goes.

Thank you all!
-The Force

I don't want to sound rude, but you'll really have to explain that in a lot more detail. Some of the terms that you use don't seem to make sense in the context in which you're using them. I'm sure that it's just a matter of you knowing what you want to say and expressing it in a way that's clear to you. To the rest of us, though, who have no clue what the initial conditions are, it's pretty vague.

Danger said:
I don't want to sound rude, but you'll really have to explain that in a lot more detail. Some of the terms that you use don't seem to make sense in the context in which you're using them. I'm sure that it's just a matter of you knowing what you want to say and expressing it in a way that's clear to you. To the rest of us, though, who have no clue what the initial conditions are, it's pretty vague.

Ok, I can understand that. Let me try again.

When a ball hits the ground and bounces up, what principle is being used? What are the physics involved?

the_force said:
Hi everyone.

I am doing research for a technical analysis study, and I need a little help.

Is it the speed? weight of object?

What physics/principles are in play?
The bounce depends on the ability of the object to convert its kinetic energy into potential 'spring' energy. It also depends on the hardness of the ground.

The amount of energy it can regain after stopping depends on the amount of potential elastic energy stored in the object when it is stopped (maximum compression). This requires a very high spring constant.

If the ground deforms on impact, energy will be lost, so maximizing bounce requires a very hard surface.

AM

Four year old thread. Locked.

1. What factors affect the impact of an object hitting the ground?

The impact of an object hitting the ground is affected by the mass and velocity of the object, as well as the composition and surface of the ground it is hitting. Other factors such as air resistance and gravitational pull may also play a role.

2. How does the height of the object affect its impact on the ground?

The higher an object is dropped from, the greater its velocity will be when it hits the ground. This means that the impact will be stronger and potentially cause more damage.

3. What happens to the energy of the object when it hits the ground?

When an object hits the ground, its kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy such as sound, heat, and deformation of the object and the ground. The total amount of energy remains the same, but it is redistributed.

4. How does the shape of the object affect its impact on the ground?

The shape of an object can affect its impact on the ground in several ways. A pointed object will exert more pressure on a smaller surface area, potentially causing more damage. A flat object may distribute its impact over a larger area, resulting in less damage.

5. Can the impact of an object hitting the ground be predicted?

The impact of an object hitting the ground can be predicted to a certain extent using mathematical equations and models. However, there are many variables at play and the exact impact may be difficult to predict accurately. Factors such as wind, irregular surfaces, and the elasticity of the object and ground can also affect the impact.