Finding when a object hits the ground, its velocity when it hits, etc

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the time and velocity at which an object hits the ground based on its height equation. The correct time for hitting the ground is 9.5 seconds and the velocity at that point is -152 m/s. It is also important to note that t = 0 seconds is not a valid answer as the object is being fired upward at that point.
shamieh
I need someone to check my work, because I am getting very weird numbers. Just want to make sure I am doing this right...
The height of an object in meters after t seconds is given by \(\displaystyle H(t) = 152t - 16t^2\).

a) When does it hit the ground?
My answer: t(152 - 16t) = 0 which means t = 0, \(\displaystyle t = \frac{152}{16}\)

b) What is the velocity when it hits?

152 - 304 = -152 m/s

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's correct...you should expect in this case that the final and initial velocities have the same magnitude, but opposite directions. The negative sign on the final velocity means it is traveling in a downward direction.

shamieh said:
I need someone to check my work, because I am getting very weird numbers. Just want to make sure I am doing this right...
The height of an object in meters after t seconds is given by \(\displaystyle H(t) = 152t - 16t^2\).

My answer: t(152 - 16t) = 0 which means t = 0, \(\displaystyle t = \frac{152}{16}\)
Any particular reason why you didn't reduce this to [tex]\dfrac{19}{2}[/tex] or 9.5? Also it should be 19/2 seconds or 9.5 seconds.

b) What is the velocity when it hits?

152 - 304 = -152 m/s

Is this correct?
H'= 152- 32t
152- 32(19/2)= 152- 304= -152 m/s

shamieh said:
A picky, but important point. t = 0 s is not an answer here. It is at the ground at t = 0 s, but is being fired upward at that point.

-Dan

topsquark said:
A picky, but important point. t = 0 s is not an answer here. It is at the ground at t = 0 s, but is being fired upward at that point.

-Dan

Good catch, Dan! :D

I don't think that's picky at all. Students should learn early on which roots of their equations apply and which do not and why. (Yes)

1. How do you calculate the velocity of an object when it hits the ground?

The velocity of an object when it hits the ground can be calculated using the formula vf = vi + at, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity (usually 9.8 m/s2), and t is the time the object takes to hit the ground.

2. What factors affect the velocity of an object when it hits the ground?

The velocity of an object when it hits the ground is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and air resistance. The mass and shape of the object can also affect its velocity.

3. How do you find the time it takes for an object to hit the ground?

The time it takes for an object to hit the ground can be found using the formula t = √(2h/g), where t is the time, h is the height from which the object is dropped, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can you find the velocity of an object when it hits the ground if you know its height and time in the air?

Yes, the velocity of an object when it hits the ground can be calculated using the formula v = gt, where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time the object is in the air. However, this formula assumes that the initial velocity of the object is 0 m/s.

5. How does air resistance affect the velocity of an object when it hits the ground?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down the velocity of an object when it hits the ground. This is because as the object falls, it pushes against air molecules, which creates a force that opposes the motion of the object. The amount of air resistance depends on the size, shape, and speed of the object, as well as the density of the air.