When did these math branches reach their peak of development?

• Thread starter dijkarte
  • Start date
In summary, abstract algebra, probability and statistics, differential equations, calculus and analysis, and Fourier analysis are all active research areas with ongoing developments and new theories being added. Set theory is not as active as it used to be, but there is still some research being done in the field. Mathematics is a deductive science, so everything that was true 60 years ago is still true today. Texts from different time periods may differ in style and approach, but the content remains valid.
dijkarte
Since when each of the following math branches stopped developing, so there have been no new established theories and topics added?

Abstract algebra

Set theory

Probability and statistics

Differential equations

Calculus and analysis

Fourier analysis

Physics news on Phys.org
Those haven't stopped developing at all, except maybe set theory. Set theory isn't very active. I'm not sure exactly when that happened.

Could you please give me an example where a new theory/method has been added since the past 10 year for one area? And I don't mean advanced/research active topics...
Maybe my questions was not clear. What I want to know if anything changed with new theories that replaced old ones, generalization, ...etc.

homeomorphic said:
Those haven't stopped developing at all, except maybe set theory. Set theory isn't very active. I'm not sure exactly when that happened.

Uuuhm, set theory is still very active... It might not be as popular, but there is still quite some research in it.

Yup they are active research areas, but do they rule out any theories we studied 10 years ago? In other words, if I'm studying from a math book dated in 60s, am I studying something outdated and invalid?
Are these research topics taught and listed in undergraduate syllabus?

Yup they are active research areas, but do they rule out any theories we studied 10 years ago? In other words, if I'm studying from a math book dated in 60s, am I studying something outdated and invalid?

Is that even possible? As I understand it, mathematics is built up successively using deductive arguments that must necessarily be true. I freely admit that I don't know, but it wouldn't make sense to me if a "proof" were suddenly found to be incorrect.

I freely admit that I don't know, but it wouldn't make sense to me if a "proof" were suddenly found to be incorrect.

Exactly that's what I mean, whether recent researches ruled out any previous theories, and then courses and texts have to be updated accordingly.

I know everything is an active research area and can develop, and not only applicable to math.

But let me reword my question a bit.

If I'm studying ODEs from a text that dates back to 1960s, and another student is studying the same subject ODEs from a different new text say 2011. And both are studying at the same level, say undergraduate. How this person knowledge will be different than mine in this subject?

dijkarte said:
Exactly that's what I mean, whether recent researches ruled out any previous theories, and then courses and texts have to be updated accordingly.

I know everything is an active research area and can develop, and not only applicable to math.

But let me reword my question a bit.

If I'm studying ODEs from a text that dates back to 1960s, and another student is studying the same subject ODEs from a different new text say 2011. And both are studying at the same level, say undergraduate. How this person knowledge will be different than mine in this subject?

It all depends on the topic at hand, but I don't think your knowledge will be very different. The texts will be different however, but this won't matter much.

My experience is actually that older texts are actually better (not always of course). Old texts usually care only about rigor. New texts are often dumbed down.

Here are a random example of 5 texts that I have:

Spivak - Calculus: 1967
Kelley - Topology: 1955
Rudin - Principles of mathematical analysis - 1953
Artin - Algebra - 1991
Arnold - Ordinary differential equations - 1978

These texts are all considered top notch and they are all (with maybe the exception of Artin) quite old.

The quality of a text has very little to do with how old the text is. Old texts can be good, or they can be bad. So don't look at the age very much when choosing a text.

Sometimes, you do need newer texts however. For example, if you want material on recently discovered things. But at undergraduate level, or beginning graduate level, this won't be an issue.

In other words, if I'm studying from a math book dated in 60s, am I studying something outdated and invalid?

Mathematics is a deductive science. Everything that was true 60 years ago is still true today.

Uuuhm, set theory is still very active... It might not be as popular, but there is still quite some research in it.

Okay, but it is a fairly small area, I would say. I don't know of any math professors who work on set theory, but then, I'm fairly out of touch with that stuff.

Related to When did these math branches reach their peak of development?

What is the history of math subjects?

The history of math subjects dates back to ancient civilizations such as Mesopotamia, Egypt, and Greece. These civilizations developed basic mathematical concepts such as arithmetic, geometry, and algebra. The subject continued to evolve over time, with contributions from mathematicians such as Pythagoras, Archimedes, and Isaac Newton.

Why are math subjects important?

Math subjects are important because they provide the foundation for understanding and solving real-world problems. They also help develop critical thinking and analytical skills that are essential for many careers in fields such as science, technology, engineering, and finance.

How have math subjects changed over time?

Math subjects have changed significantly over time as new concepts and theories have been discovered and developed. For example, the ancient Greeks primarily focused on geometry, while the development of calculus in the 17th century revolutionized the field of mathematics.

What are the different branches of math subjects?

There are many different branches of math subjects, including arithmetic, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, and statistics. Each branch focuses on different types of mathematical concepts and their applications in various fields.

How can math subjects be applied in everyday life?

Math subjects have numerous practical applications in everyday life, such as calculating budgets, measuring distances, and understanding probabilities. They are also essential in fields such as medicine, engineering, and technology, where mathematical principles are used to solve complex problems and develop new innovations.