What branches of math must I master to learn GR?

• Thread starter Sorcerer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr Master
In summary, you need to have a really strong understanding of calculus and vector calculus, as well as some understanding of mechanics.
Sorcerer
Based on what I’ve read here, I really have to absolutely kill linear algebra. Maybe some abstract algebra, too. And based on all this talk of manifolds, I’m guessing some topology and differential geometry is in order.

Those of you who know GR, can you offer a math subject prescription so I can finally learn GR?

For the record my math background is currently maxed out here:
*Undergraduate multi-variable calculus

*The barest basics of linear algebra (before you get to more abstract concepts like really understanding vector spaces, basis, kernel, etc).

*Undergraduate differential equations up to some simple partial differential equations (I suppose the furthest I got is separation of variables and utilizing a Laplace transform table).

*A little bit of set theory, truth tables, and some of what you learn in the “Transition” math class undergraduates take before they are allowed to take courses like analysis, abstract algebra, topology and the like.

*A little exposure to group theory, and a couple other very watered down abstract algebra concepts.

Again, thanks to all who respond. I know this is kind of a vague question.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest a forum search. This question has been answered here many times.

phinds said:
I suggest a forum search. This question has been answered here many times.
(a) That isn’t very efficient as there are countless threads with those key words that only explore one particular issue rather than a simple general summary.

(b) It seems simply answering the question might have taken as much effort as “try the search forum.”

See e.g. Nakahara's book. It covers all the differential geometry, tensor analysis and topology you need to master GR.

Likes K Murty and Sorcerer
Sorcerer said:
Based on what I’ve read here, I really have to absolutely kill linear algebra. Maybe some abstract algebra, too. And based on all this talk of manifolds, I’m guessing some topology and differential geometry is in order.

Those of you who know GR, can you offer a math subject prescription so I can finally learn GR?

For the record my math background is currently maxed out here:
*Undergraduate multi-variable calculus

*The barest basics of linear algebra (before you get to more abstract concepts like really understanding vector spaces, basis, kernel, etc).

*Undergraduate differential equations up to some simple partial differential equations (I suppose the furthest I got is separation of variables and utilizing a Laplace transform table).

*A little bit of set theory, truth tables, and some of what you learn in the “Transition” math class undergraduates take before they are allowed to take courses like analysis, abstract algebra, topology and the like.

*A little exposure to group theory, and a couple other very watered down abstract algebra concepts.

Again, thanks to all who respond. I know this is kind of a vague question.

There are also some Physics prerequisites. Most important, you must have really understood SR. And, you need to have studied Lagrangian Mechanics. Another recent thread is here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...s-for-general-relativity.939528/#post-5940112

Likes Sorcerer and Pencilvester

1. What is the most important branch of math for learning GR?

The most important branch of math for learning GR is differential geometry. This branch deals with the study of curves and surfaces in multidimensional spaces, which is crucial for understanding the concepts of spacetime and curvature in GR.

2. Do I need to be proficient in calculus to learn GR?

Yes, a strong foundation in calculus is essential for understanding GR. Calculus is used extensively in GR to describe the behavior of spacetime and the equations of motion for particles and light.

3. Is linear algebra necessary for learning GR?

Yes, linear algebra is another important branch of math for learning GR. It is used to represent and manipulate vectors and tensors, which are key components in the mathematical formulation of GR.

4. Can I learn GR without a background in physics?

While a background in physics can be helpful, it is not necessary to learn GR. However, a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and equations is crucial for understanding the theory.

5. How much math do I need to know before starting to learn GR?

To learn GR, you should have a solid understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and differential geometry. It is also helpful to have some knowledge of classical mechanics and electromagnetism, as these concepts are used in the development of GR.