Hear Back from Graduate School? | December App

• Thread starter wesley7777
  • Start date
In summary, some individuals were wondering when they would hear back from graduate schools after applying in December. Others shared their experiences of only hearing back from a few schools out of the ten they applied to and discussed the possibility of being rejected or wait-listed. It was mentioned that some schools have already sent out acceptances, while others may not have started reviewing applications yet. One individual mentioned the importance of patience and not worrying about lost mail, while another shared their success with receiving an acceptance email from a school in Michigan. It was also noted that some schools notify applicants by email rather than through mail.
wesley7777
I was wondering when you start hearing back from graduate school? I applied way back in December but I have yet to hear anything back from them. So I was wondering is anyone else starting to hear back from there graduate schools they applied too? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Check out http://www.physicsgre.com/

They have lots of people talking about their applications , their accepted and denied schools, and when they got accepted or denied.

I have had 10 applications sent out and only heard back from 3. One I barely heard back yesterday. UC Berkeley even said (if my memory is correct) that people shouldn't expect to hear from them before, at the least, March 15th. UT Austin hasn't sent me a decision yet and their deadline was December 31st. Give it time. Keep in mind that I'm pretty sure they don't even start looking at applications until their deadlines have passed.

wesley7777 said:
I was wondering when you start hearing back from graduate school? I applied way back in December but I have yet to hear anything back from them. So I was wondering is anyone else starting to hear back from there graduate schools they applied too? Thanks

If they've already given out a bunch of acceptances, then that means you're probably rejected. Some schools don't send out rejections immediately because they place them on a wait-list or even below that just in the miracle chance that a lot of the students who got acceptances decide not to accept the offers

creepypasta13 said:
If they've already given out a bunch of acceptances, then that means you're probably rejected. Some schools don't send out rejections immediately because they place them on a wait-list or even below that just in the miracle chance that a lot of the students who got acceptances decide not to accept the offers

Well I do not know if they have sent out any acceptance letters yet or not, I guess I will just email them. I have crappy mail and knowing my luck my letter got lost somewhere.

Perfect, sounds like the school I am looking at is just a late sender when it comes to the letters.

You should start hearing soon. April 15th is the deadline to accept an offer. I heard back in early Jan. from one school for interviews (which was way earlier than the rest), heard back from more in early Feb. for interviews, but the main bulk I have yet to hear back from. I figure I should hear from them about next week or by mid March. I sent out 10 apps just like Penguin and have only heard back from 3 thus far. Patience.

Well I would probably not worry, but my apartment building keeps having this wonderful habit of losing my mail or forgetting to tell me that I have it. So I was just making sure nothing had been lost, but by the looks of it no. So I will wait.

wesley7777 said:
Well I would probably not worry, but my apartment building keeps having this wonderful habit of losing my mail or forgetting to tell me that I have it. So I was just making sure nothing had been lost, but by the looks of it no. So I will wait.

Other than some UC schools and some state schools, I'm pretty sure most every other schools have already sent out their acceptances. They usually notify their admits by email, not snail mail. If you haven't heard back, you're either on the wait list or below the wait list.

creepypasta13 said:
Other than some UC schools and some state schools, I'm pretty sure most every other schools have already sent out their acceptances. They usually notify their admits by email, not snail mail. If you haven't heard back, you're either on the wait list or below the wait list.

Well I emailed them and they have not sent out letters yet and they do not notify by email so all is good.

Just got an acceptance email today from Michigan!

1. How do I know if I have been accepted into graduate school?

After submitting your application, the graduate school will send you an official acceptance letter or email. You can also check your application status online or contact the admissions office directly for an update on your application.

2. When can I expect to hear back from graduate school?

The timeline for hearing back from graduate school varies depending on the program and university. Generally, you can expect to hear back within 4-6 weeks after the application deadline. However, some schools may take longer to review applications, so it's important to check the specific timeline for the program you applied to.

3. What factors are considered in the decision-making process for graduate school admissions?

The decision to accept or reject an applicant for graduate school is based on a combination of factors, including academic performance, letters of recommendation, personal statement, test scores (GRE, GMAT, etc.), and relevant experience. Each program may have its own specific criteria, so it's important to research and understand what the admissions committee is looking for.

4. Is it possible to follow up on my application status?

Yes, it is possible to follow up on your application status. However, it's important to be patient and give the admissions office enough time to review your application. If you haven't heard back within the expected timeline, you can contact the admissions office to inquire about your application status.

5. What should I do if I am not accepted into graduate school?

If you are not accepted into graduate school, don't be discouraged. You can contact the admissions office to ask for feedback on your application and see what areas you can improve on for future applications. You can also consider applying to other programs or reapplying in the future with a stronger application.