When does the divergence theorem apply?

In summary, the divergence theorem applies when you have a vector field and a surface, and the triple integral of the divergence of the field is equal to the flux through the surface. It works for the electric field because of its specific properties. However, there are limitations to the theorem and it only applies when the hypotheses are true.
EngageEngage
As the thread title suggests, I'm having trouble realizing when the divergence theorem is applicable and when it is not. In some examples, I am instructed not to use it because it doesn't hold but on others I can use it. My first instinct was that it doesn't apply when the vector field isn't defined within the region of itnerest, but I realize that this can't be true because, for example, the electric field is undefined at the source point, but we can still use the theorem. So if someone could please help me out I would appreciate it greatly.

[tex]\int\int_{\partial V}\vec{F}\cdot\vec{n}dS = \int\int\int_{V}\nabla\cdot\vec{F} dV [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Divergence Theorem, in general, applies when you have some sort of vector field and a surface. Then, the triple integral of the divergence of the field is equal to the flux through the surface.

In terms of the electric field, the Divergence Theorem works because
[tex]\iiint_{V} \nabla \cdot \vec{F} dV = \frac{Q_{inside}}{\epsilon_{0}}[/tex]

Thank you for the reply. O yes, I am very familiar with the theorem and I have computed it many times. Its just that sometimes i run into problems when I cannot use the theorem (as instructed) but I haven't been able to figure out why I cannot use it in sometimes. Thus, I am really curious as to what the limitations of the theorem are and in what cases it doesn't work.

You are aware, I hope, that every theorem has "hypotheses". Any theorem applies when the hypotheses are true. What are the hypotheses of the divergence theorem?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. When does the divergence theorem apply to a vector field?

The divergence theorem applies to a vector field when the field is continuous and differentiable everywhere within a closed surface or boundary. Additionally, the surface must be smooth and have a well-defined orientation.

2. Can the divergence theorem be applied to any type of vector field?

No, the divergence theorem can only be applied to vector fields that are defined in three-dimensional space. It cannot be applied to vector fields in higher dimensions.

3. What is the purpose of using the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem is used to relate the flux of a vector field through a closed surface to the divergence of the field within the enclosed volume. This allows for the conversion of a surface integral to a volume integral, making it easier to solve certain problems in physics and engineering.

4. Does the divergence theorem have any limitations?

Yes, the divergence theorem has some limitations. It only applies to vector fields that are defined in three-dimensional space and have continuous and differentiable components. Additionally, the surface must be closed and smooth with a consistent orientation.

5. Can the divergence theorem be used in any coordinate system?

Yes, the divergence theorem can be used in any coordinate system, as long as the surface and vector field are defined in that same coordinate system. However, it is often easier to use Cartesian coordinates when applying the divergence theorem.