When is a given state an eigenstate of a given operator?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine if a given state is an eigenstate of a given operator in the context of theory. The speaker also mentions using Dirac notation and matrix representation. They consider starting with the eigenvalue equation and proving that the given state is not an eigenvector, but it is suggested to assume it is and then derive the result that the eigenvalue is zero. The speaker expresses gratitude for the assistance.
Kyle.Nemeth
How do I know if some given state is and eigenstate of some given operator?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an extremely broad question. Are you talking about experiments or theory?

I am referring to theory. I may have posted this in the wrong category as well, I'm not sure. But I'm trying to prove that some given state is not an eigenstate of some given operator. I'm doing this all in Dirac notation and matrix representation. So, should I start with the eigenvalue equation and show that the given state is not an eigenvector of the operator (Again, I know the operator and the state in matrix form)?

Kyle.Nemeth said:
So, should I start with the eigenvalue equation and show that the given state is not an eigenvector of the operator (Again, I know the operator and the state in matrix form)?
Yes, although it may be easier to assume that it is and then derive the result that the eigenvalue is zero.

Likes Kyle.Nemeth
Thank you for the help Nugatory, much appreciated.

1. What is an eigenstate?

An eigenstate is a state in which a physical system is in a definite, predictable state. It is characterized by a specific set of quantum numbers and is often represented by a wavefunction.

2. What is an operator?

An operator is a mathematical operation that is applied to a function or a state. In quantum mechanics, operators represent physical observables such as position, momentum, and energy.

3. How do you determine if a given state is an eigenstate of a given operator?

To determine if a given state is an eigenstate of a given operator, you need to apply the operator to the state and see if the result is a multiple of the original state. If it is, then the state is an eigenstate of that operator.

4. What does it mean when a state is an eigenstate of an operator?

When a state is an eigenstate of an operator, it means that the state has a definite value for the corresponding physical observable represented by that operator. This value is called the eigenvalue.

5. Can a state be an eigenstate of multiple operators?

Yes, a state can be an eigenstate of multiple operators. This means that the state has definite values for the corresponding physical observables represented by each of those operators. However, the eigenvalues for each operator may be different.