1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When is an integral infinite help

1. Oct 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem is this:

Let f : R^2 -> R be

[tex] f(x,y) = \frac{xy}{(x^2+y^2)^2}\qquad (x,y)\neq(0,0) [/tex]

With [itex] f(0,0) = 0 [/itex].

Question:
    Is [itex] f [/itex] integrable with respect to the Lebesguemeasure [itex] m_2 [/itex] om the set [itex] [-1,1]\times[-1,1] [/itex]?

3. The attempt at a solution

Well [itex]f[/itex] is integrable if and only is

[tex] \int_{[-1,1]^2} \vert f\vert\,dm_2(x,y) < \infty[/tex]

The integral is infinite, and so f isn't integrable.
    The thing that makes it confusing, is that in the next problem it says,
    Show that both the double integrals exist

[tex] \int_{[-1,1]}\left(\int_{[-1,1]} f(x,y)\,dm(x)\right)dm(y)[/tex]
    [tex] \int_{[-1,1]}\left(\int_{[-1,1]} f(x,y)\,dm(y)\right)dm(x)[/tex]

But how can they exist if f isn't integrable?

EDIT:
    Hmm I had made an error. It did seem kinda wired that the integral of a positive would give me something like [itex] \infty-\infty[/itex]. The integral is infinite though. The expression I had found would only hold for y > 0.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2007 #2
    First question : Dont you think that the integral should have two boundaries? its from [-1,1] to what? please try to be more specific so we can help

4. Oct 6, 2007 #3
    Actually [-1,1] is not a point it's the interval from -1 to 1. That's just another way of writting the integral of the function f(x,y) from -1 to 1 with respect to x (hence I have writtin m(x), the Lebesgue measure with respect x).

5. Oct 6, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I assume that the notation "[-1,1]2" means [itex]-1\le x\le 1[/itex] and [itex]-1\le y\le 1[/itex]. A function is as long as the set of points on which it is NOT continuous is a measurable set. For what points is this function not continuous?

6. Oct 6, 2007 #5
    Yep, that's the square I'm talking about.

What is the function if it's not defined on a measurable set? Integrable or measurable?
    The function is measurable though, since as f is only discontinuous at the point (0,0), and we just define f(0,0)=0, and make f defined on the whole square.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?