1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When is integration good enough

1. Sep 20, 2011 #1
    When is integration "good enough"

1. I was attempting to find the surface area of a hemisphere by summing up the surface areas of infinitesimal cylinders (or ribbons) of increasing radii (excluding the top and bottom areas). I wanted to solve this integration problem this way as opposed to using spherical coordinates (or any of the other numerous methods).

2. The attempt at a Solution.

My method for solving this problem is exactly the same IBY describes in the following post: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=427695

Dick explains why this attempted solution is incorrect. By claiming: "It gives you the area of the ribbon if it's vertical (i.e. parallel to the direction dx). If not it ignores the horizontal component. That's not a good enough approximation."

The value that my attempted solution outputs shows that the solution I tried is incorrect; however, this brought up a question for which I have no understanding. What makes an integration a "good enough approximation"? I had thought that since the ribbons' heights are infinitesimal there would be no problem, but there is. Why, and how would one predict that there would be a problem?

If dick's explanation is correct, then why does integration ever converge to the area under a curve? For example if one was to find the area of under y=x (a 45 degree line) for any discrete change in x, the rectangles whose sum results in the area under the curve is not quite accurate. Since the change in x ceases to be discrete in integration (it becomes infinitely small), that problem is solved. Why is it not so with the above problem?

Thank you very much! I appreciate any help I can get.​

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2011 #2
    Re: When is integration "good enough"

Your integral is wrong, you made a change of variables. So the limits a and 0 isn't the same anymore when you made [tex]dx = a\cos\theta d\theta[/tex]

EDIT: Also, I would use from - a to a. Because when you simplfy the integrand, the limits of integration isn't even aproblem

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  4. Sep 20, 2011 #3

You are correct, and I should have noted that my limits of integration are correct in what I did as opposed to IBY. I did not make that mistake. Even with correct limits of integration, the value it results in is incorrect. My question is what makes that method of integrating not a "good enough" approximation.

5. Sep 20, 2011 #4

I am not 100% sure myself, but here is the intuition I think I can give you.

Instead of summing up the horizontal dx, ds sums the curvy part.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook